Wedding Music Suggestions

kfoss99

Try to remember to appeal to all of the people who will be there, i.e. the parents of the bride and groom and everyone that they invited. People of all ages like to get out on the dance floor. It might not be pretty, but it happens. Motown works for most folks to dance to, just don't let the DJ play one of those dreadful "medley's" you know 30 seconds of Smokey followed by 30 seconds of the Four Tops. I mean what the hell the songs are only 2:30 anyway!

PS: Plenty of good booze also helps get the folks out on the dance floor. The best advice I got for my wedding was "Know your audience."

Guest srobak

You know what - something has been bothering me about this since I read the first post, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it... it has been a while since I have done any DJing - but I did figure it out.

If any DJ is asking you for song suggestions aside from the special songs - then you need to hire a different DJ. Seriously. That is the absolute LAST question that any wedding DJ worth his salt should ask. Any of them know that there will be people there from the age of 3 months to 83 years, and they already know the wide variety of music they will need to play in order to make it fun for everyone - young, old and in-between. They have a regular library of music covering many genres and styles, and to be honest - every wedding reception pretty much ends up the same. I did a few dozen back in the day, and never had one complaint and always had referrals. The song lists I posted are prime examples of what I am talking about. A good wedding DJ brings the party to the reception and gets people up, moving, and having a good time, and will barely need any coaching. Just my antiquated $.02

I think my original post was misleading, I was looking for specific songs for the specific events. But, I went over the top 200 list with my fiance and it helped us get an idea for those songs. I don't think the d.j. wanted us to put together the whole play list, just give him the first dance, father/bride dance, last dance, entrance songs, etc. He also wanted to know what songs or genres that should NOT be played.

I've got it all figured out now. The best part is that the wedding party is going to be introduced with a classical piece, then my wife and I will be introduced to Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Pride and Joy," that should knock the socks off the 80 year olds in attendance.

Yeah SRV!!! I guess "Pride and Joy" is a better idea than "Look at Little Sister" LOL. My wife and I were lucky enough to hire a band for our wedding and when we went to interview them, the leader of the band was also the guitarist. i asked him who his favorite guitar player was and he said "Wes Montgomery", to which I said "You're hired." Best of luck with the wedding and your future together.

I think my original post was misleading, He also wanted to know what songs or genres that should NOT be played.

Anything by Impotent Sea Snakes or, uhm,erhm.......Nashville "kittycat". [:#] You could probably also add Frank Zappa and Insane Clown Posse to that list