RF3 trade up to the RF7s?

Gary W. Graley

I have had the RF3s for about a year now, almost, and have the bug bite me again to do some upgrading, the easiest thing I can see, besides my tv which is down the road for a bit, is the front mains.

Now there isn't anything wrong with the sound of the RF3s but I wondered if an upgrade to the RF7s would really net me that much of a difference in overall sound?

System at present is;

Sony 27" (stuck for now...)

Sony 840 receiver

Sony 560 DVD player

RF3 mains

RC3 center

SB1 rears

KW12 sub

So those of you that know the two speakers, would it be worth the $$ to switch up to the RF7s?

Thanks all,

G2

I remember the first time that I heard the RF-3 speakers. The sound caught me and I bought them. That is the same fealing that I had when I heard the RF-7s. Except there is no way my wife would let me buy them. Unless I wanted to live in the boxes they came in. If you have the money and don't mind spending it on them, it is a good upgrade.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

My Home Theater

Gary,

The RF-3's are ok speakers and a super value.The RF-7's are almost full range,better tweeters for a more detailed top end.The two large 10" ceralloy mid-bass drivers deliver a Tyson like punch.And the finish is true quality Klipsch...no lame vinyl like covering.

And when you gear music or HT thru the mighty RF-7's you will never use your sub again.Unless you but a SVS or another hevyweight sub.

I dont regret my purchase,the RF-7's are awesome.For the price I cant ask for much more.

RF-7's all the way...unless WAF gets in the way. LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Seb,

The RF-3's and RF-5's are almost identical(drivers).

The RF-5's have a larger cabinet,better finish,better binding posts and higher price.

The RF-7's have a better quality tweeter,larger ceralloy mid-bass.And do sound like large speakers.

Real BIG speakers,no strain even at extreme volumes.

I use RF-5's as sourrounds.These stand about 1M from me!The RF-7's are 2.6M away! LOL Its what I call monitor speakers with punch.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

If anyone knows the RF series of speakers, it would be TheEAR(s)! I have had the RF-3's for about a month now, and have never had the chance to hear the RF-7's. The RF-7's would be the logical step as far as an upgrade is concerned. I thought the 3' and the 5's were very close in sound. The 3's actually have a slightly larger cabinet volume/size. Deeper than the 5's.

I'm not even using a sub with mine. I've got an old pair of Yamaha NS-9393's as rears. They are a four way with a 15" woofer, 6" low mid, 3x8" horn upper mid, and two 3" tweeters. I've got four Quintets scattered around for effects. Pretty low grade compared to most, but damn if I'm not satisfied with the HT and 2-channel sound.

If I ever have the huevos to try for a speaker upgrade, it would be the RF-7's today. But while they might "deliver a Tyson like punch", they also would take a Tyson like "bite" out of my finances right now!

Thanks guys, going for the upgrade to the RF7s, will be in a couple weeks....

The wife is concerned...why oh why do I need to change?

I say...why not?

But the subwoofer deal, hmmm how much is an SVS that would make a diff? I would have to try and sell my 1 yr old Klipsch sub inorder to fund that, but it sounds like it would be worth it...

G2

Gary

I upgraded from RF-3s to RF-7s about two months ago.

Firstly, however I upgraded the RC-3 to an RC-7 as I've always understood that for HT the centre speaker does the most work.

The improvement was unbelievable and after a week's use improved even further.

It was then apparent that the RF-3s just couldnt support the RC-7, so superior was the new bigger centre so I upgraded the fronts too.

The sides and backs are still RB-3s and I've not found this a problem.

I tried running the RF-7s as large as suggested by Ear and whilst they certainly are good I didnt find the sound as clean or crisp as when I ran them small (I had a Velodyne HGS-15 sub and last week added a second one).

Personally I'd start with the centre and move on from there.

Regards

Darryl

If I could suggest another alternative rather than "giving up" on the RF-3.

The Sony receivers I have listened to have limited current capacity of the transformers so the dynamics of the music may not be reproduced well.

For half the price of the RF-7s you may can acquire some very nice new high current receivers or used separates with superior capability when compared to the Sony.

I replaced a Kenwood receiver similar to Sony in construction with Sherwood Newcastle separates that were a demo set with full 3 year warranty for $ 1100 4 months ago. A very tough looking 5x125 power amp weighing in at 70 pounds.

My RB-5s sound like a totally different set of speakers.

High current power is a treat!

I'm using a Denon 5800 with plenty of power available (170watts into 8 Ohms per channel and a really enormous toroidal transformer) and I still find the Reference 7 speakers in a totally different league to the Reference 3 series. Theres no comparison at all.

Having said all this, I'm shortly going to install separate amps for the three front channels and use the Denon as a processor for these.

Regards

Darryl

Darryl,

Denon 5800 huh,congratulations.Great choice and its the KING of recievers as far as brute powr and great quality is concerned.

I like my 5800 and 3802 alot.

While these two have good power amps built in I had to get a ATI 1505 and 2505. LOL

EVEN MORE POWER...I never use.

cwm27.gif

What can I do? I am sick for MORE POWER.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

Got them! and they be very nice!

I have to wait on the RC7s to come into stock and will trade my RC3 in for that one,

The cleanness and openness are terrific and the bass response is great as well, though they are BIG...

NOW, I just came back from the Doctors and I do have the early stages of Upgraditis with a severe rash of NEEDing a new receiver/power but am not sure what to select on that score...

I have the Sony 840 which sounds pretty good so I'm not certain that a change is REALLY needed but want to know what would be a good upgrade soundwise within the $1,000 range or less...no separates as I don't have room for those...

Thanks guys/gals

G2

• 1 year later...

Well some time has passed, got the RF7s and RC7 as well, also changed out the receiver with a nice Sony DA5ES, beefy but now I'm concerned or wondering about the mid range for music listening, or more likely having that upgraditis relapse? Over at the Home Theater Forum I had posted asking the question a long time ago about changing the RF7s for something with more midrange sound, for use on HT stuff, man these speakers are killer! but music they still don't quite do it for me, close...but not there.

SO, a few folks suggested some MK speakers or the Onix Rockets, and then others suggested hanging onto the RF7s and changing out my receiver to one that has a warmer sound to it, such as Rotel and a power amp, and lastly a person said to check this forum again for posts regarding some fixes for the speaker electronics to help tame them a tad, a search and I didn't find a post regarding changing the components inside, but did find this, my old post.

So let me know what you guys/gals think...

Thanks in advance,

G2

Uhmmmm this post looks a little familar from a hometheaterforum posting.

As I posted over on the other forum an external amp will do more for your system than you can imagine.

The pioneer 49txi is a fantastic unit but with the RF7s it was a little bright. With the Parasound Halos the difference is simply amazing, still great detail and music sounds more like a live outdoor concert. Movies as if you were there.

I considered the Rockets and several forum goers assisted me in making the right decision, external amps and keep the Klipsch and pioneer. They were abasolutely correct. My friends came over shortly after I connected the amps. After the movie they asked what in the world I did. It sounds that much better.

IMHO keeping the klipsch on the receiver is doing it an injustice. My local tweeter has allowed me to demo equipment for 24 or 48 hours. Rockets have appeal but it would be tough for me to part with the Klipsch RF7s.

I am sure you will not have any problem selling the RF7s if you decide to.

Scott

I have had rf3-II's for about two years now, and I like their sound a lot.

I replaced my older Technics 80 wpc stereo receiver with the Rotel rx1050 receiver. With the Rotel,I got all kinds of bass out of my speakers that I had been missing with the Technics receiver. A different receiver/amplifier could make a large difference in the quality of the sound.