Firts timer, getting the RF-82 Home Theater System, what else do i need???

Nachofly

Did you demo this system? If so, why not get whatever electronics was used for the demo? What is your budget? Do you currrently have a receiver? Speaker wire really wont make much difference, just get 12 gauge cheapo wire. There are all sorts of options as far as electronics. I would however stay away from Sony entry level receivers.

first i was looking for bose, but then i tried a klipsch demo in a home theater system and it blew my mind. but i cant recall the model either from the speakers or the other things.

that's why im asking info, to get a better picture for im getting with. cause the speakers are gonna be bought. no matter what.

but i wanna know, what else do i need. for a tv and a dvd system.

at least i know now that i have to stay away from Sony. lol.

I agree about the wires and about Sony receivers. Yamaha is what I use, but Harmon Kardon are great products as well as Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo.

On the higher end you could go with Rotel, Arcam or numerous other brands. Being that this is new to you I'd suggest starting with an entry level all in one unit. Current receivers will have built in equalizers and all of the modern audio formats. Once you have all of the pieces in place then you'll need to calibrate it all. Most if not all newer receivers have some sort of autocalibration in them and that would be simplest for you in the beginning. After getting it all set up as you learn more you can start to play with manually calibrating your system to really get it dialed in. It does make a difference but it can be somewhat confusing. You do need to come up with a budget though as this can get expensive when you add it all up.

If I knew at first what I know now I'd probably look at Harmon Kardon or Marantz just because they are considered to be excellent matches for Klipsch speakers. Also don't get too caught up in power ratings of different brands of receivers. My Yamaha is rated at 120 watts per channel but a 75 watt per channel HK will dust it. Don't get me wrong I like my Yamaha fine and will keep it until it dies. I just want you to be aware that some companies play with numbers and make products appear better than they are. Also I'd suggest whatever receiver you get to make sure it has pre outs for an amp. This can then be used as a pre amp at a later date. Or as in my case you can add an amp to your mains and allow your receiver to power the surrounds.

If you look at the efficiency rating of your speakers this number is how loud they will go when driven with 1 watt measured at 1 meter from the speaker. I can't remember what the 82s are rated but I'm betting it's close to 95 or 96 db. That's reletively loud with just 1 watt. To increase the volume by 3 db you have to double that. So to get to 98 or 99 db it takes 2 watts. every 3 db increase doubles the power requirement. It seams like you would never use 75 watts but believe me there are soundtracks that will need that kind of power. I actually have 200 watts x 2 for my mains. As you get closer to the top end of an amps rated power they can start clipping and that is usually what ruins speakers. I'll stop there because that is a lot to absorb but feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Rick Garner

As far as TVs go is your room very bright? If so then Plasma wouldn't necessarily be a good match. LCD is pretty good. DLP is the most bang for the buck IMO. But they aren't wall mountable. For a dvd player there are a lot of good ones out there. Get one that upscales to at least 1080i unless your wanting Blu ray. For that I'd suggest going with the PS3 as that is the most versatile unit out there as far as upgrades.

this are the spec of the thing i wanna buy

RF-82 Specifications

this the RF-82 FLOORSTANDING LOUDSPEAKER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 33Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

POWER HANDLING 150W RMS / 600W Peak

SENSITIVITY 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 2000Hz

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofers

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing ports

HEIGHT 43.6" (110.7cm) (w/feet)

WIDTH 9.5" (24.1cm)

DEPTH 16.25" (41.3cm)

WEIGHT 66lbs (30kg)

FINISHES Black Ash woodgrain vinyl

BUILT FROM 2006

RSW-10d Specifications SUBWOOFER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 24-120Hz +/-3dB

AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 500 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 1200 watts

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 114dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m

DRIVE COMPONENTS Ultra-high-excursion 10" (25.4cm) Cerametallic cone, rear-firing woofer

Ultra-high-excursion 10" (25.4cm) Cerametallic cone, front-firing passive radiator

AMPLIFIER BASH® digital hybrid

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via front-firing passive radiator

INPUTS L/R Line-level RCA jacks

OUTPUTS None

HEIGHT 13.75" (34.9cm)

WIDTH 12.75" (32.4cm)

DEPTH 17.5" (44.5cm)

WEIGHT 45lbs. (20.4kg)

FEATURES DCS control and feature set w/ 3 system presets

FINISHES Cherry or Black Ash woodgrain vinyl

VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC 60Hz

EXPORT VOLTAGE 220 VAC 50/60Hz

BUILT FROM 2006

RC-62 Specifications RC-62 Center Channel

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 57Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

POWER HANDLING 150W RMS / 600W Peak

SENSITIVITY 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1150Hz, 1650Hz

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual front-firing ports

HEIGHT 8" (20.3cm)

WIDTH 23.5" (59.7cm)

DEPTH 12.5" (31.8cm)

MOUNTING Uptilt and Downtilt feet

WEIGHT 32lbs (14.5kg)

FINISHES Black Ash woodgrain vinyl

BUILT FROM 2006

RS-52 Surround Speaker

RS-52 Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 62Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

POWER HANDLING 100W RMS / 400W Peak

SENSITIVITY 95dB @ 2.83V / 1m (equivalent sound energy)

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1700Hz

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression drivers mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horns

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 5.25" (13.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofers

ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual side-firing ports

HEIGHT 13" (33cm)

WIDTH 12.6" (32cm)

DEPTH 8.5" (21.6cm)

MOUNTING Keyhole bracket and Dual 1/4"-20 threaded inserts

WEIGHT 15lbs (6.8kg)

FINISHES Matte Black vinyl

BUILT FROM 2006

I JUST WANT GOOD QUALITY OF SOUND AND VERY LOUD. THIS SPEAKERS WILL HELP???

If your cinema room is dark you could do a projector and have excellent results. That would give you the largest screen you could get in the room for the least amount of money. The only problem with that is running the wires for power and video for the projector. LCD and DLP are the brightest formats and are great for rooms that have a high level of ambient light. The drawbacks to LCD are what they call artifacts on fast moving scenes(think sports and fast moving screens) that problem has been almost eliminated on the higher end LCDs(high cost though) DLP are great for fast motion excellent picture and no fear of burn in but they are rear projection and are minimum of 12" deep. Plasma probably has the best picture but some can be ruined by tilting them to far on their side. Also when the light on a plasma fails it's a boat anchor there is no repair for it. Having said that they are supposed to have a life of 50-60,000 hrs now.

On your audio system it all looks good. The only thing I'd sugest is either go with one of the THX Ultra subs or a different brand altogether. Klipsch subs are in my opinion very capable but somewhat pricey for their performance. I had the RSW-15 and it was a very good sub but new it was close to $2,000. I'd look at companies like HSU, SVS, AV123, Elemental designs. Although others may have a different take on it.

so im going with yamaha... ( but now what yamaha!!!LOL) for a reciever, my budget is 8.000 , the subwoofer that im getting is 500 watts RMS, the reciever is capable of powering up that kindda of subwoofer?? i'm sooooo lost... lol

cheers.

so im going with yamaha... ( but now what yamaha!!!LOL) for a reciever, my budget is 8.000 , the subwoofer that im getting is 500 watts RMS, the reciever is capable of powering up that kindda of subwoofer?? i'm sooooo lost... lol cheers.

Your receiver does not power the subwoofer. It merely sends it a signal. The subwoofer usually has a built in amp.

Yeah your sub should be powered by a built in amp. I'd look at the Yamaha rxv-663 it'll do all you need and then some. It's actually more capable than mine which cost me $1000 about 19 months ago. Have you ever visited the AVSforum? There is a wealth of info on there and few A-holes. but I have found it to be a wealth of info.

• Moderators

When you get it all together, then you will have many more questions on where and how to set everything up, you don't just plug and play for best sound. Don't worry everyone here will answer any questions to get you great sound, just ask. Your in for a treat, if done correctly it will sound better than what you heard when you auditioned the speakers in the first place.

the thing is that iT has to be klipsch speakers, all of it. it's a request from the buyer. what is the purpose of the Processors??? i mean i know the process sound, shoul i get one too????.

Just out of curiosity, who is the buyer? Are you are salesman? How did you get roped into picking out a system for this person?