La Scala rewires

jnorv

I am geting ready to rewire my La Scala's withg Cat 5. What is the recommended configuration of the wire bundles? I have 100 feet of 4 pair, 24 Ga, cat 5, FEP insulated, PVC jacketed wire.

Thanks,

Jim Norvell

This message has been edited by jnorv on 01-25-2002 at 03:26 PM

I twisted 3 pairs of 4-pair and then braided the 3 twisted pairs into a single cable. That means each front La Scala got a cable made from six 4-pair "runs". The solids became + and the dashes became -. After all of that work I couldn't hear ANY difference AT ALL!

My La Scalas are '81 models with Type AA networks.

John

Hey John Warren,

How about a little less attitude? Nothing like insulting someone else to make yourself feel better, eh? How insecure are you pal? Maybe he can't hear the difference between two types of wire because cabling doesn't mean much of anything in the end.

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

Cornwalled---I think that sound you just heard was a joke going over your head. Warren wasn't insulting Albright, he's making fun of a certain type of audiophile and certainly not Albright. He's in agreement with Albright. And what's with this insecure crap, everytime somebody acts secure some jasper is bound to say he's acting secure because he really isn't. So how does somebody who is secure act, insecurely? Evidently the secure can't act securely. that would mean they're not....Joeseph Heller, can you hear me?

For external, I tried the CAT5 approach and thought it sounded ok as it bettered a homebrew Radio Shack 18awg solid core/Magnet wire solution I had. Then both were easily eclipsed by a pair of Belden 89259 twisted with shielding. And all the above did better than some Transparent Network cable via the low watt 2A3 where the Transparent sounded slower and more thick. Even 75 cents of RS Solid core bettered this expensive cable (although the Transparent did well with solid state and ProAcs). I now have various incarnations of Belden 89259 in IC and speaker wire. And between preamp and amp am running Vampire continuous Cast Copper Wire in a twisted pair. This is a very open and detailed combination while still sounding very smooth.

To hell with Audiophile labels. I can only report what I have found works with my current setup of Cornwalls 2A3/EL-84/EL-34 amps, one of which is single-ended, the other two being Williamson and Ultralinear respectively.

As for the internal rewire, I have heard of people getting good results with Kimber solid core in their speakers. I am not sure you need to inact the CAT5 twisted approach within the speaker. Many are also going with the super thin Magnet wire for the mid and tweeter. Others frown. Let your ears decide and do what floats your boat. Listening by numbers is fun on paper.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-27-2002 at 02:42 AM

In all fairness, the cat-5 cable to the KLF-C7 did make a small difference. I still have trouble describing that difference, sort of smoother and more detailed.

I had the wife and both kids helping. The boys didn't mind, Cathy thought I was "touched". i had trouble typing for a couple of days afterward.

John