Deep Thoughts

jdm56

Still have my first speakers after just less than 40 years. Must be easy to satisfy...

My K'horn room is not ideal...but different speakers that match the room better would not provide that one of a kind sound. I'll live with it until I can build the right room.

Dave

You're kidding me, right? ...RIGHT??

SWMBO must never know!Zip it!

Not kidding. Frazier Super Monte Carlos. I have also collected two more pair of them over the years. My hearing was a lot better then than now...why would they not sound as good to me as they did then?

Granted, that pair is stored as they are not very pretty after 4 decades of falling off dorm shelves and God knows how many pickup truck moves, etc. Also spent several years in Singapore, etc.

Dave

I think a good product would be "Baby Duck Hat". It's a fake baby duck, which you strap on top of your head. Then you go swimming underwater until you find a mommy duck and her babies, and you join them. Then, all of a sudden, you stand up out of the water and roar like Godzilla. Man, those ducks really take off! Also, Baby Duck Hat is good for parties.

I had an invite and was ready to have fun, so why did they just toss be out on my ear? 

If you get invited to your first orgy, don't just show up nude. That's a common mistake. You have to let nudity "happen."

And remember when at orgy....short man who dance with tall woman, get bust in mouth!

I've heard them a couple of times (RB-75's, RF-83's), but they just didn't get my juices flowing. Coulda been the room or set-up.

Must've been the room or more likely the amplification. Where they using some cheap sqeak box of a reciever? I am finding from experience to really get these things to come alive, it certainly helps to put a good amplifier behind them (doesn't have to be rediculous, but certainly better than your run-of-the-mill AV reciever).

Even after listening to many a Khorn setup as well as very nice Palladium setup in Indy just this past June, my trusty ol' RF-7s with my B&K amplfiier still friggan ROCKS! And believe me, I don't think there is a bigger metal head on this forum than your's truly, so I know what I am talking about when it comes to rocking out! This new Scar Symmetry album will friggan blow your hair back on these things, for example!

I have my setup in a 14 x 15 foot room with only one decent corner, so no way a pair of khorns would work. I probably could get a pair of Cornwalls to fit, but what I got now friggan barely fits, so the RF-7s worked perfectly for me. I don't have any intention of replacing this setup anytime soon. I just friggan love it how it sounds as is (although admittely, I would like to eventually replace my Denon AVR3802 that I am using as a pre-amp with say the new B&K Ref 70 pre-amp). Would friggan love to have you listen to my setup.

Both of my listening experiences with RB or RF speakers were powered by run-of-the-mill a/v receivers. Which really shouldn't be an excuse for poor sound anyway, imo.

I've heard heritage horns not sound good, too. In those cases, I would say it was the room or speaker set-up that was at fault. But of course, I've heard big horns sound fantastic, so I know when they sound bad, it's not the speakers' fault. It's just that I've never had one of those "blown away" listening experiences with Reference series speakers. But then again, I just haven't heard them much at all. So I'm certainly not convinced I wouldn't like them. I'm keeping an open mind.