Deep Thoughts

jdm56

I use to keep a pair of speakers five to eight years. Since I sold my klipsch heritage stuff I've gone through B&W 703's (1 yr.), ADS HT400's (1 yr. then assigned to HT duty), and now I've had my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab OML-2's about a year and guess what? Yup, Dougy's got the itch.

So what's up with that? I know what the easy answer is, but it ain't that simple. The big horns just flat didn't work so well in the only room I had for them. Now, I have a separate two-channel set-up in a much better sounding room, but corner-horns are out of the question in this room.

See, I want it all; slammin bass, airy highs, rock solid imaging with depth and three-dimensionality. And I want it without paying stupid high-end prices. Seems to my ears that many horn-based systems in smaller rooms have precious little in the way of that 3-D effect that I find very addictive. You know, the sense of hearing actual bodies and real instruments and not just two-dimensional cut-out pictures of same. But I do miss the immediacy, ease and resolution of horns, that kind of approximates a good headphone experience.

I actually do still like my Mo-Fi's real well. It's just that they don't have that effortless slam, that sense of dynamic ease. They're just a bit too laid back for rawkinroll. Mahvelous on acoustic music and jazz, though.

So, is there hope, or am I doomed to ride the speaker merry-go-round 'till they put me in the home for wayward audiofools?

Please excuse me if I've written this letter once or twice before. I think I may have. [:$]

Still have my first speakers after just less than 40 years. Must be easy to satisfy...

My K'horn room is not ideal...but different speakers that match the room better would not provide that one of a kind sound. I'll live with it until I can build the right room.

Dave

Listen to a pair of older Mirage M-1's (if you can find and afford them) M-3's, or M5's. Note that this is not the current line up of Mirage loudspeakers

Probably have to find them on eBay or Audiogone now but well with the money, and fit the description you're looking for - with one exception, these are wider than they are deep which can make placement difficult, that and they need to be 3 feet or more from the side and rear walls - but you effort in placement will be rewarded.

Conversely, Definitive Technology makes a thinner but deeper bipolar - but I can't speak for what they sound like.

JDM56.....makes a good twilight zone......you finally get the perfect room in a new house...a set of khorns or jubillee's ....the best amps and sources money can buy.....you warm up the tubes....clean off the vinyl....let your TT come up to speed....the tonearm is in your hand and millimeters from the LP....and Blamo!!!! Some terrorist group sets off a giant EVP knocking out all power for years to come............[6]

how's about LaScala II's with a sub????

Get RF's. They will satisfy all your needs.

What he means to say is "get Jubilees Real Fast"...yes, I'm sure that's what he meant! [6]

You should at least hear a pair (seriously). You might hate them but if you did... you would be the first [;)]

What you're describing sounds a lot like what I get from my Forte II's. That sense of effortlessness is just absolutely incredible... the speakers have just a huge dynamic range, even at low volumes... it's unreal. Slammin bass, airy highs? Check. Rock solid imaging? Well, I honestly haven't heard much else that's better, but one feature of the Fortes that I find unique is their ability to very much portray a 3D soundstage in every direction, even behind you. Really, the best feature of the Fortes is that they sound so realistic when it comes to instrument timbre reproduction.

I got mine for $400 from a forum member. The original MSRP was $1200, and that's much closer to how they actually sound than $400.

A really deep thought....... I was born in Nevada, Missouri. Not many people can say that.

No kiddin'? When's the last time you were here? It kinda looks like we're back in the great depression around here these days. Empty commercial properties everywhere you look, declining population, delapidated old factories... But we got a nice new Wal-Mart Supercenter with all the Chinese widgets you could ever want! GEE, AIN"T FREE TRADE GREAT?

Build a pair of kornerlisshorns and live happily ever after.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/102542.aspx?PageIndex=1

No can do. I've got a ledge, about four feet above the floor that runs the width of my front wall, that is covered with family pictures. Boss says I can't block it, so that means any speaker has to be less than four feet tall. Which of course, would allow for la scalas.[^o)]

Still have my first speakers after just less than 40 years. Must be easy to satisfy...

My K'horn room is not ideal...but different speakers that match the room better would not provide that one of a kind sound. I'll live with it until I can build the right room.

Dave

You're kidding me, right? ...RIGHT??

SWMBO must never know![:#]

JDM56.....makes a good twilight zone......you finally get the perfect room in a new house...a set of khorns or jubillee's ....the best amps and sources money can buy.....you warm up the tubes....clean off the vinyl....let your TT come up to speed....the tonearm is in your hand and millimeters from the LP....and Blamo!!!! Some terrorist group sets off a giant EVP knocking out all power for years to come............Devil

how's about LaScala II's with a sub????

la scalas with subs? hm, now there's a good idea! i was considering going that route about a year ago when Vann's had some "non book-matched" LS II's for a good price. Then I found these deep-discount MoFi's and couldn't resist the deal. ...and now hear i am all this time later wondering if i'd be goin through this hand-wringing again if i'd got the la scala's then instead of the mo-fi's.[^o)]