Imaging & Soundstage

lovedrummin

I'm interested in getting your definitions of imaging and soundstage. I enjoy participating in the site discussions & fear I may have used these terms interchangeably. I'd hate to give someone misinformation by using the wrong terminology to express myself. Do the definitions of these terms hold the same meaning in regard to home theater as well as stereo (music)? Thanks gang - looking forward to the education.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll - & Not Too Old To Learn

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 01-26-2002 at 12:25 PM

Here's some info I found, might be helpful.

The best imaging is achieved in rooms that are symmetrical. Most of us don't have such rooms, so we encounter different frequency responses at your seating area, due to the direct and reflected sound paths from each speaker. This often causes the image to shift slightly to the left or right at different frequencies resulting in what's called poor imaging. Symmetry applies not only to the room shape (which will affect low frequency imaging) but also to the equipment in the room (which will affect mid-range imaging). Some individuals use acoustical treatments & others choose equalizers to combat a rooms negative affects on imaging.

The ability to reproduce three dimensional sound is called soundstaging. An accurately reproduced soundstage conveys the acoustical and spatial cues that allow you to locate performers and instruments in three dimensional space as you do during a live performance. To achieve accurate soundstaging, symmetrical cue encoded in the left and right channel (s) information must be preserved in amplification, and most critically in loudspeaker reproduction. For loudspeakers to reserve symmetry, each driver must "see" the same resistance, the same capacitance, the same inductance as the other, over its entire frequency range. When there is evenness between a pair of components the soundstage deteriorates and the sound is perceived as coming from the loudspeaker cabinets.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-26-2002 at 03:10 PM

As I said, some of the info I had found, and that para was one that was in my archives. It was from some speaker manufacturers Q&A page. Here's what I think it should have conveyed; a good soundstage is dependent on properly recorded media, rather than multi-tracked, multi-channel or artificial panning added to the media. An accurate demonstration of a speaker's soundstaging ability is truly revealed when listening to a straight forward recording of live music. Then our ears should be able to respond and recognize the spatially correct "cues" that existed during the live performance.

But since this was a manufacturers site who was touting their brands merits, it was (I think) written from a Design Approach in an attempt to convince readers that their product was superior because they were designed and produced with all elements of "superior soundstaging" hand crafted in their loudspeakers. Also recall they had links to topics on stereo, surround and alternative surround(?) speaker placement. If you're truly interested in their perspective on soundstaging, I will try and find that site and post a link to that page?

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Found the link...the manufacturer is NSM Audio. I'm not familar w/them, but they call their design & crossovers acoustic-first order, w/2-way driver configuration for woofers. Emphasizing match pair manufacturing. That's what the verbage for soundstaging was about. Here's the link to main page: http://www.nsmaudio.com/index.html

A link to 1993 Stereo Review Article (fwiw) http://www.nsmaudio.com/reviews/m25/sterev.html

I would imagine they would have a big WAF, based on their cutesy little size.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-28-2002 at 11:49 AM