What is the best sub I could get from $900-1200?

xj220

Hello Neighbor!

Are the two LF-10's not up to par? Have you been to Hifi buys on Nolensvile Rd. They will have the Klipsch KSW and RSW series (not sure on price but they will haggle some). They also sell M&K's. They sounded good. Audio-Video Connections near Cool Springs Mall sells Paradigm. The PW-2200 also sounded good to me.

Most everyone on this list seems to like the SVS series (www.svsubwoofers.com). I only wish I could hear them before I buy them.

xj-

While I must allow everything said about SVS, I would not overlook the Paradigm PW2200. I got mine and it does quite well with Forte II, KV-4, 2pr KG 1.2. SVS may be better, but for now, I love my system. I got mine for about $800, but you might be able to find it lower.

This message has been edited by jhawk92 on 02-01-2002 at 01:29 PM

You sound like your looking for the most bang for the buck. I have a pair of SVS Ultras and a Samson 1000watt to drive them... and, believe me, it is always easier to "pump down" the bass if that's your heart's desire. With SVS, you can always pump it up if you have a change of heart. And it's more "musical" than any other sub I've tried in that price range.

If your concerned with economy, check out the SVS 20-39CS+ at $599 + freight. It's passive and handles 500 watts at 4 ohms, so you will have to get a power amp for it... they can include an amp for $999. Many have picked up used stereo amps and configured them to put out 4 amps monaurally... which could be a cost effective solution for you.

Sound advice from the Legend front cwm9.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways Today!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall based

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...

Hey, Monty, that might be interesting and I should be rolling through Sacramento in the motor home in the not too distant future. I was there last month too.

What are the dimensions of your Pioneer... and shouldn't you be feeding an SVS with 4 ohms not 6 ohms?

What are you feeding your SVS baby now? More than 4 ohms can get dramatic...

cwm28.gifHornEd

HornEd;

You are welcomed anytime Ed. I would be glad to have you over. Although I don't suppose you would even lift an eyebrow once youve herd my system, considering what your living room consist's of.cwm2.gif

Anyhow, the reciever is actually one of the first surround sound systems that came out in the mid 80's (I think) It actually has 4 channels. A total of 315wx4 @ 6ohms. I'm assuming that the receiver can put out at least 175w into the main channels at a 4ohm load. It really is nothing to look at but at my suprise it can push my SVS 20-39cs down to floor shaking level's. Not to mention it's not too bad playing music either.

If you know anything about new vs old as far as receiver's/amp's are concerned. (which i'm sure you do) it's amazing what manufacturer's were able to produce 15 years ago. The quality of the actual parts used to assemble receivers back in the day were much more superior than the parts used today . You can take your pick of any new receiver on the shelve right now that can drive up to 150w (max) per channel (within a reasonable price range) and I garuntee you it would not be able to handle a 4 ohm load speaker like an SVS. Im sure it would either clip or overheat on you during the high demand periods.

The pioneer did me proud but I ordered a Samson S1000 last week. If 175w can shake my house Im wondering what 500w can do at 4 ohms!cwm37.gif

This message has been edited by montigue on 02-02-2002 at 12:06 AM

HornEd, man...good to see you are still kickin'

The pw2200 recommendation is a good one, one of the best commercial woofs <$1000. Don't forget about Hsu Research either.

IF someone is looking for the max performance from SVS in this range...I'd go with a dual 20-39CS/S700 package...but there's plenty of other manufacturers to consider too. Maybe a new Klipsch rsw 12?

TV

TV,

Any news on the SVS SS? Just a quick question how many dB more will the SS have over the Ultra around 20Hz?

Provided both have a power amp with all the juice each driver can take with no damage to the VC.

Thanks

I am saving for these beasts.

TheEAR(s) Now theears