Bass Shakers

colterphoto1

Bass Shakers by Aura model AST-1B-4.

I got 4 of these with my Coaster Recliners and have never played with them. Just got them out of box and I'm planning on running a line from sub output (daisy chaining off THX Sub amp) to a BGW 150 (75 watts per side or so) as the bass shakers are rated at 25 RMS each. They are shown as 4 ohms each so I'm just going to play with one per channel for now. I'll have the line level run to a nearby end table and the amp will be there so I can flip it on or play with the volume during critical stages of the movie (avoiding the dreaded 'numb butt' syndrome that might occur from constant vibration).

I think I"ll try just setting them on the floor under the recliners, possibly bolting them to a heavy solid plank of wood or something really dense so it shakes the floor some more (the floor is wood frame over a basement so it has the possibility of vibrating quite a bit. If that doens't work well, perhaps running two oak planks between the steel framing members of the chair and attaching the Bass Shaker to that might do the job.

Any experience with these?

Movies only. I got one hooked up, the throughput from the THX amp isn't much voltage. I'm having that consumer/pro impedance mismatch at the BGW input. With LOTR on and massive bass rumblings coming through the THX subs, only the second green light is hitting on the BGW. It's some effect through the driver, but I can tell that the voltage needs bumped up.

The Bass Shakers are really meant for the floorboards of cars to give additional impact. Maybe that's part of the noise in my neighborhood?

Just setting one of these on the arm of the sofa gives a nice concussive effect that is an additional 'shock' but not real LF output. These might be fun to try for a while. At the very least I can scare the heck out of some guests!

Funny story. When I was looking at universal remotes, I went to my local dealer and was fiddling around with one of the remotes to try out. I didnt realize they had the bass shakers on a recliner tied to a macro on the remote. Well there was a elderly lady sitting in the nice recliner, and I think she jumped about a foot out of the chair when the bass shakers kicked on. The salesman got a chuckle out of that, and Im sure the lady was pleasantly surprised as well.[:o]

Just setting them on the floor near the recliners won't get it done, they will just shake themselves and probably rattle and be annoying. Bolting a plank between the framing of your seats and bolting the shakers to that will work well. I did that in a couch with 14 shakers push/pull and it was fun. I did basically the same thing in my Berklines as well. Each chair in the theater has 2 shakers in them and they are all powered by a K2.

Shawn

" Shawn: are you using any sort of eq to boost up the low end on them at all>?"

Nope. I played with that briefly ages ago (10+ years) and didn't like the results. They overloaded too easily and sounded nasty. I had the same problem with ButtKickers. BKs overload pretty easily down deep and sound like a jackhammer when they do it. I have a couple of BKs but don't use them because of that.

I did see a site long ago about lowering the Fs of the Bass shakers by opening them up and dremeling their suspension a bit. Might be fun to play with but I never got around to trying it. I'd hate to have to pull all the shakers out to do that too.

Shawn

I just need to get the impedance/voltage right to the amp. I don't think I'm giving them much juice- the 5% light hits on my BGW and that's it. No where near clipping. These are rated at 25 watts, but that's probably nasty car watts, eh? I figure I should be able to chain a couple to the BGW's clean 75 watts.

It's a fun effect, it might wear off. They didn't cost a thing and the amp is just lying around so I thought I'd play. Might be really fun for NFL when those BIG HITS come.

I think I'll dual them up on my two fave chairs ( maybe hit seats 1 and 3, leaving my fave #2 sans vibrators). Two planks of oak flooring with thumbscrews and bolts to clamp around the chair frame members might do the trick. To do the push/pull I'd just reverse the polarity of one of the sets and mount them front to front on the oak boards, right? If clearance is an issue I'll gang them side by side and leave in standard polarity.

Bass shakers...pah.For people with subwoofers that cannot deliver all there is to deliver. Sorry not my cup of tea. I prefer twenty sealed subs driven by ten pro amps...shaking...the walls have visible travel now. So capable it is plain scary and the RF7's(two pairs driven with two Brystom 4B amps) can be drowned !

[:D]

Bass shakers...pah.For people with subwoofers that cannot deliver all there is to deliver. Sorry not my cup of tea. I prefer twenty sealed subs driven by ten pro amps...shaking...the walls have visible travel now. So capable it is plain scary and the RF7's(two pairs driven with two Brystom 4B amps) can be drowned !

Big Smile

whoaa...cool,

I had a 8inch KW v recently that shook my world. Anyway, there must be a subject for volume as regards, the masking effect of low vs high frequency, in the realm of audio in the forum. Had not considered it.

" Bass shakers...pah.For people with subwoofers that cannot deliver all there is to deliver."

Nonsense.

My L/R sealed subs (Q 0.5) are *flat* to at least 10hz. The measurement software I used only went down to 10hz.

"...the walls have visible travel now."

You need better walls. A room singing/rattling along with subs sounds lousy.

Shawn

Shawn, have you seen what theEar has built?

If ones room is rattling along with the woofers it will sound lousy.

Until one hears a good subwoofer system without the room singing along they simply won't understand this. The net effect is the room is adding massive amounts of noise/distortion to the system. The total opposite point of adding displacement in the first place. One step forward, three steps back...

Shawn

I have yet to see/hear a room where massive displacement will not anny rattles.At high (yet half sane) outpout levels the walls stay in shape,only one wall has extra flex(output where SQ is insignificant since SPL is at a level where your hearing gives).