La Scala II's In The House!

jdm56

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Custom Audio in Little Rock, AR. They are a Klipsch dealer and do not normally keep Heritage stuff in stock. They had a canceled order for two K-horns and 1 La Scala to be used in the classic PWK three way setup. They made me a deal on the one La Scala and then ordered the second one from Hope.

These are walnut. Listening impressions:

1. Bass seems deeper than specs indicate. I have a Klipsch 12" subwoofer but on a lot of jazz, I don't turn on the sub because it sort of mudies the sound no mater where I cross it. Just yesterday I heard some gorgeously clear electric bass that did not seem to have anything missing - clean, solid and aticulated.

2. I use them for home theater (FR & FL) as well. On "The Dark Knight" in Blu-ray with HD sound, they are STUNNING! Both my wife and I had to surrender on the bar scene with a lot of thumping bass because it sounded exactly like a bar!

I love 'em!

RichInLR - please don't take this personally, I think the new LS's are beautiful, I only mean it from a constructive point of view for Klipsch, and yes, I'm nitpicking.

I think Klipsch should try to improve the look of the upper grill of the new LS. There's something about it that is too plain. I think it needs a little detail, maybe a wood accent or something. Or maybe it's the cloth itself, just not as textured as the old cloth is.

Greg

Stan,

OK, gotcha. Have you ever heard the AR9's? They're much bigger size than the AR3's. They don't have the added ambiance coloration of the Khorns which I feel gives the Khorns an even larger sound, but they sound just as big if not bigger than them.They sound like huge AR3's with no boundaries. I've read about people getting them dirt cheap on the net. If you like the AR sound. I think these might be the pinnacle of AR. Roy Allison designed.

Check out the pic below. From Left to right, AR3, AR9, AR4x, Tannoy Monitor Gold 15", Klipschorn.

I've got AR-9's and AR-90's and I like them both, but actually prefer the AR-90's.

One of my friends doesn't like my Khorns, and I hooked up the AR-90's for him to listen to in my living room and he really didn't like those. He likes Vandersteens. This is why there are so many different kinds of speakers in the world.

Greg

Greg,

I guess this is a two edge sword for Klipsch. In the flesh, the grill cloth looks to be the same black woven grill cloth that we have seen for many years and appears to be as textured as always. I agree that a little bit of modernization wouldn't hurt but I think the main thrust at this time is for them to look "classic." Note that they have even gone back to the old style logos (I like that). One of the things that gets me is that the grills are not removable (just like the old days...).

Greg,

I guess this is a two edge sword for Klipsch. In the flesh, the grill cloth looks to be the same black woven grill cloth that we have seen for many years and appears to be as textured as always. I agree that a little bit of modernization wouldn't hurt but I think the main thrust at this time is for them to look "classic." Note that they have even gone back to the old style logos (I like that). One of the things that gets me is that the grills are not removable (just like the old days...).

Oh, I didn't realize. In the pictures the grill cloth looks more like standard smooth cloth. That's surprising that the grills are not removable, I would have figured they were held in place with magnets. There's just something about the wonderful wood showing on the front of the bass bin, but then no wood at all on the front of the top horn section. I just think it needs a little more detail up top.

Beautiful speakers though. Imagine all those people who spend so much more on plain old boxes with grill cloth covering the whole front? One of the best attributes of La Scalas and Khorns is that you have beautiful wood to look at while enjoying the beautiful sound.

Greg

• Moderators

Nice looking speakers, I like the look of the thicker cabinet even if it was not for looks. That was a great price on the mis matched woodgrain pairs, you can't beat that price for that kind of sound, good deal. [Y]

After many years without horn speakers, for me I like the horn sound, live sound or whatever it's called. I have had many non horn speakers, the last pair my son in law still has "Baby Advents", they sound good but to me somethings missing, I guess it's the horn sound ?

It all goes back to personal taste.