Need a speaker system for my father, help?

Pauw

My father has very outdated old gargantuan speakers that only sound decent, and when I say decent, I mean that they occasionally, no frequently sound horrible. They used to only emitt sound when the volume was at its maximum wattage and now they don't really work at all. I'm looking to buy an under $600 great sound quality system that can get to a comfortable wattage. By this I mean what the klipcsh ifi can achieve, as I own one, and this blocky, outtdated looking system blew me away in sound quality. Now that klipsch has a resurgence of klipsch ifis, should I just get him one? Or are there any other speakers you know of to that are good home stereo systems (will only be used for cds/ipod, I don't need a home theater system). If klipsch only updated the look of the ifis in black with better remotes, I'd probably buy ten of them. Evenso, the ifi remains the only sound system I have ever really been pleased with, what would you recommend?

Gargantuan? With your budget... look for a pair of used Cornwalls. They will fit into the gargantuan decor and if you were my favored son and got me a pair of Cornwalls, I'd make sure you were more than compensated for your loyalty and thoughtfulness when the old will is read..... Just kidding!!! But.... a pair of Cornwalls (or Forte's, Heresy's) will do everything your dad would need and sound great in the bargain. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.

That the Cornwalls would surpass would be an understatement. First, they are incredibly efficient. 1 watt at one meter will produce 101+ dB of sound. Assuming your dad has an older vintage amp.... the ability to have detailed, powerful, room filling sound is a real thing. They (as all of the Heritage) are also extremely accurate, low distortion and have very high power peak handling capability. They are easy to work on, easy to "upgrade", easy to restore (veneer, finish, etc.).

My suggestion is to find a Forum member with a pair of Cornwalls, etc in your area. Ask them for an invite to come over and listen to what Cornwalls will do, and I'm confident that you will see the difference between a small iFi system and a pair of true audiophile quality system.

Don't misunderstand me. It is my opinion (and likely most other members of the Klipsch Forum) that any Klipsch speaker system is head and shoulders above it's equivalent commercial counterpart (Bose, etc.). They are simply better engineered, and the components are better quality. Ask yourself what is the iFi designed to do? Look at the intention, and then stand back and consider the design limitations.

Where are you located? If you are in Florida, send me an email, I'll arrange for a visit to the "Wall of Voodoo".

since you kept referring to the ifi, i thought you were looking for something on the smaller side, that's why i mentioned the bookshelf selection. but, grooms is absolutely correct about the cornwalls. they will blow away the ifi easily. cornwall is a very good speaker and if you can find a deal, go for it--even if you don't need them. i've got 10 speakers in the living room of my one-bedroom apartment, and am still looking for deals.