Just got the Custom-3s

Bohemian_Rhapsody

Hi,

Money spent: 450 USD (here in Norway)

First Impressions: Doesnt sound any better than my previous earplugs worth 30 USD except for the sound insulation.

I have tried all sizes of ear gels. With each increasing size, i get more bass and less treble but the same mids. None of the frequencies sound clean, let alone pleasing. Btw, I am using the Echo Audiofire 2 soundcard and have my iFi system playing beautiful tunes...

am i doing something wrong here ?

am i doing something wrong here ?

I don't know if you are or aren't. My experience (limited I'll admit) is they sound very very good. It did however, take me a while to finally "get it" regarding which gel to use and more specifically, just how I had to push them into my ear canal to get a good seal.

I probably had them for several weeks and finally one day while working outside & being sweaty... they almost fell out so I pushed them in. Given my being sweaty at the time, all the sudden they went in far deeper than ever before and the sound finally came together and I "got it".

Perhaps they're not for you...I don't know. I just know in my case it took me a while to figure it out (I didn't own any kind of earplugs before so my learning curve was starting at zero)

[:D]

Don't feel bad. There are several people at work that use Custom series for a month before they "got it". "It" primarily being the proper fit to get a good seal. Look as some of the other posts dedicated to fit and function for Custom series.

The primary proble people have is that the don't angle the nozzle forward or up enough. Some use the wrong ear tip size and some push too deep or not deep enough.

Good luck!

Like Coytee posted, some of us really have to stick them in pretty deep. And the angle can matter.

At the Headphone topic, look for the options and reset to display all threads as the default is only the latest 2 months and read some of the posts. I think one recommends straightening out the wire and sticking them in at an upward angle and then bending the wire around one's ear.

The angle can make a big difference - kind of up and in rather than straight in. I use the large gels with my Custom 2 and often wonder if extra large wouldn't work better..... though there isn't such a thing.

Experiment. the sound really isn't too good if it's aimed into the side of the ear canal as opposed up the ear canal where it's fantastic. A good seal is required to get good bass response. Be sure to attach the gels per the instructions so they are locked on.

Good luck!

Good point...

One thing people may not think about is that the wire can both help and hurt your fit experience. If the wire turns the nozzle to the wrong angle or location then of course you will have a poor fit experience. Best rule of thumb I have is to ignore the wire at first by not allowing it to dominate the angle. Let it stick off the ear instead of behind it. Focus only on the body and finding the angle as you rotate the body slightly to get the best seal and comfort. You should not have to force anything to make it work.

Next you will want to experiment with the ear tip sizes to find the optimum fit.

If you are happy with the two previous adjustments then you can start to include the wire bend. You may need to have the wire overcompensate so when the headphone relaxes to your ear it fits properly.

They are never going to sound as good as a decent set of floor-standers but then carrying your hi-fi speakers around on your shoulders would become a bit of a chore.

I have therefore found C3's to be a good compromise, but getting them to sing can be a bit of a challenge. It took me nearly two weeks to get the insertion angle /gel combination right and in the end I found sticking cotton buds (Q-tips to some I think) in my ears and then looking at myself in the mirror (even if it was strictly something to do in private) was most useful for getting the upward slope angle right. I have also found that if you have got the wire angle wrong it can cause them to gradually pull out of your ear, irrespective of whether you have the right gel size.

Also, as someone else mentioned, moistening the gels with a bit of saliva before inserting them can make all the difference in achieving a good fit, especially when you are still experimenting with getting the insertion angle correct.

Steve

Hello everyone and thanks for the response. I logged in today to say that after a couple of weeks of usage, i finally "got it" :) the sound is completely different from what it was when i first got it. perhaps my ears and/or my ear canals have adjusted to the headphones.

i will post a detailed impression soon. thanks again for the advice!

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered Custom 3's on 10/23 in anticipation of spending many hours in an airplane on an upcoming trip to Hawaii. Have been reading and taking mental notes, hopefully everyone elses experiences will make my learning curve a lot shorter. I will give details and impressions once they actually arrive, supposed to be here tmrw.

I ordered Custom 3's on 10/23 in anticipation of spending many hours in an airplane on an upcoming trip to Hawaii

Good pick on the C3's... your logic is the exact logic I used when I bought mine. Just don't get bamboozled like I did when you so proudly put your airline 'double plug' adapter on....then become confused when you don't find anywhere to plug it into the plane.... Turns out, for the plane I was on, it had the single plug and they plugged right into it without me needing to use the adapter....

dummy me.....

[:$]