New Cornwall II - Why so Shrill?

HudsonValleyNoah

CraigsList has once again been very very good to me.

I found a pair of minty, 1986 Cornwall IIs in Oiled Oak.

Most of my older Klipsch is in Oak. I could not resist...

So I take down my CD-BR (in hopes of a cool re-veneer job, but that's another thread) and placed the OOs on the CMRs.

Man, the Cornwall towers never looked better.

So I plug the OOs in to the 240 and got a bit of a shock.

I had put Bugle Boy 12ax7s in the C-11 pre to brighten up the sound a bit while I was running the CD-BRs but now with the Cornwall IIs, man, it gets shrill (at high volumes) and I don't know why.

What components are in the IIs that might be responsible for this?

I'm at a loss here and I don't want to start replacing parts willy nilly.

Help me understand this please.

N

1111f4127ZZZZZZZZZ89r0d5dc92017821a93.jp

HVN: Crossover or tweeter. Just for the heck of it.... take one of the K-79's out of your Chorus and stick it in one of the Cornwalls and see what you get. If it goes away.... if not, could be a crossover issue? I'm not familiar with the C-II crossover which they started to use in 1986, only the B/B-3's. Maybe Bob can help out on that one.

The mid K-57K and high K-79K frequency drivers of the CII can extend further than there K-55V and K-77 counterparts (clear up to a solid 20 Khz) and perhaps that is what you are hearing. There is also no acoustic damping whatsoever in that enclosure and it resonates like a bell if you rap your knuckles on the side of it. In addition, the crossover network in those things looks like it was assembled by Playschool (very cheap parts) take the woofer out and you will see what I am talking about. Could be a combination of things. What are you using as a source? Vinyl? CD played on a DVD player?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will give the Bugle Boy 12ax7s a rest and swap back in the telefunkens and see if that does it. I had swapped the telefunkens out because they seemed a bit dark with the CD-BR with B3 xover.

GL, you don't happen to have some more of those Westinghouse 6L6 you might part with?

I am getting tired of swapping mis-matched pairs around the 240...

Frzn is correct on all three points.

Higher mid and tweet FR

Ringy cabinet on the II

Playschool network

There is a reason that the CW is much preferred over the CWII by most. But try your tube rolling, it might be just the thing. If you were using a modern receiver I'd advise to rerun the PEQ settings for the new speakers. Also if double stacked, are you tweets to tweets?

GL, you don't happen to have some more of those Westinghouse 6L6 you might part with?

Unfortunately I don't have any more. But.... From what I was told by the guy that rebuilt the amp for me, he tested it with JJ's and told me point blank that they sound as good or better.... But I was out money on that "project", and asked him to please install the Westinghouse as I had requested. Nevertheless, I have experimented with a good quad of matched Sovteks, and they sound very good also. They are a little more "smooth", but they also have about 250 hours on them. My preference right now are the Westinghouse, but... may eventually swap out those for a set of JJ's. Talk to HarryO on the Forum about what he uses in his Baldwin amps, and also ask the folks at tubedepot.com and see what they say. The Sovteks and the JJ's are reasonably priced and production quality has come a long way in the last couple years.