Advantage: Klipschorn

Mallette

It will probably come as no surprise to most here that the winner of the Battle of the Titans and still undisputed heavyweight champion is the venerable Klipschorn, thought considerable merit was found in the Frazier Eleven contender.

Details are in the pinned "Battle" thread and I hope the attendees will add their thoughts. '

Dave

Welcome to the madness, Joe. I lived in the Dallas area 18 years and did not go to one of those. If I recall correctly, those guys were largely bottleheads and near field monitor types. Good stuff, but outside my interest area.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It sure would have been interesting to hear if the decision went the other direction, but I guess it's not much of a surprise that the Klipschorn ruled.

I can't say I've heard everything, but it's gonna be tough for anything to beat out my K-horns. A couple years ago I was selling an extra pair of Khorns that I had. A guy from Orange County (I was in CA at the time) came to give them a demo. He admitted his only hobby was audio and didn't have much of a problem spending big bucks on equiment (usually bought used to make it financially easy to try out different equipment). He had recently purchased an Audio Research Reference Preamp ($$$). When I was finished giving him a demo, he informed me that he had friends with $100,000 systems using Wilson Audio speakers that didn't sound as good as my setup. Actually, I don't think he was a fan of Wilson Audio as he called them "junk." Yes, he did buy my Khorns and later on even bought a pair of Rosewood Belles I had for sale as well. In fact, he was willing to buy my entire system (amp & preamp) had they been for sale just so that he could ensure he could get the same sound he heard at my place. The Klipschorns I sold him replaced Avant Garde Solos.

Thanks for providing the results.

Yes, Klipschorns are that rare nexus where science and the subjective meet and usually agree. I've yet to have anyone who cared about music at all not love them.

If you've noticed the other related threads, I intend to have another go at this in the spring with changes to the methodology and equipment running the Elevens as well. I really want to do the simultaneous comparison from a single preamp to two amps as similar as possible.

Franlkly, I still do not think anything is likely to best them big ol 'horns, but I do believe the Elevens can come closer than this last one.

I also intend to make the selection and sequencing of the music more based on the guests offerings. I had a set list I thought was good material, but I realized now everyone should get at least one thing in the mix they are intimately familiar with.

Dave