Tim Rawson Clones?

HPower

Hey Guys,

I am thinking of seeing if I can get Tim to build me one of his First Watt, F3 clones,

After re-reading the 6Moon rewiew of the F3, I am thinking the First Watt would be a real nice amp

to match up with the KHorns.

Then after re-reading the cost... $3000 [+o(]

Without breaking the bank I thought the next best thing might be one of Tim's clones... [^o)]

I have yet to read anything bad about any of Tim's creations, has anybody here tried any of Tim's amps?

I used Tim to build me a 3 channel Hypex based amp a little over a year ago -- it was really nice. One of those things I wish I still had, especially now. He'll put the money where it belongs -- on the inside. If you want a polished/high quality chassis, he'll do that -- but cost goes up quite a bit. At any rate, I highly recommend him.

Hey fenderbender,

Ya, I noticed the pricing at Reno... a great price but I want to be as economical as possible, as
I will be also needing a pre-amp as well.

Tim's clones are in the $500 range, brand new or used.
They seem to sell used, almost instantly, for the same or sometimes a little more than Tom charges.
A fairly safe buy if it turns out to be not what I am after.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1227475147&/First-Watt-F3-clone-diy

Just noticed another great price for a used original First Watt, but still not 5-600:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1228435417&/First-Watt-F3-Power-JFET

I figured if I can swing a clone for around $500 I could hopefully sell my JD-300B for enough
to purchase a JM Peach, or 2nd choice, a Modwright 9.0.

This conversation is getting confused, so let me cut to the chase.

1. The First Watt series of amps are designed and made by Nelson Pass.

2. He manufactures a limited number of these before going on to the next version (F1 through F5 so far).

3. These "factory" amps are sold via RenoHiFi.

4. Once the quota number are produced, then Pass will publish the circuits and help DIYers build and modify them.

5. The "honor system" is at the heart of this. The plans are published so DIYers can build an amp for themselves, not for commercial purposes. This is understood by all concerned.

6.The individual mentioned at the beginning of the thread does not abide by this. He builds and sells a number of these amps (and other Pass amps).

If you think Nelson Pass is making a generous contribution to te DIY community, then some rascal who abuses these proprietary designs should not be supported or condoned.

Personally I think Nelson Pass has been very helpful to DIYers. I hate seeing his generosity being abused. No need to listen to me, simply find out the facts for yourself before you patronize the rascals of the world.

Good luck,

-Tom