Really, really stupid Q regarding speaker volume, power and ohms...

oldmako

Even a $30 cd player from Wal-Mart will do better than the ipod due to the output impedance.

Since the earbuds that come with iPods are 32 ohms, the output Z would be even lower. Feeding a high Z input will work pretty well. Most SS output Z is low, under 500 ohms, all the way down to just a few ohms. Matching/setting proper levels is another matter.

I plugged my daughters old Walkman into the receiver just for comparison and the difference is dramatic. I knew that the ipod wasn't the way to go, even though it's very convienient.(sp??) But the real treat was hooking up my laptop and running Pandora. Non stop, no yakety-yak blues....or whatever else I want.

I have owned the speakers for a week now and they sound better each day. I have fumbled around with the receiver enough to have unlocked some old defaults and I'm getting closer to the sound I want.

As far as the volume, that's been taken care of. My normal volume knob position is probably around 9-10 O'clock, with 11 being NICE AND LOUD! hahaha My neighbor is a metal head so paybacks are hell right?? Thanks again for the help. These things sound great loud and I am amazed at how clean they are when cranked. Already searching for my next pair!

As some other posters have mentioned, a turntable cartridge's output is a lot lower than a CD player's output, and the receiver's built-in phono pre-amp at the Phono In jacks may not bring the level up as high as your other sources. You could add a phono pre-amp with a higher gain than the built-in one and use another input.

BTW, does your receiver does have a phono input, or are you using one of the other inputs? Phono inputs can work with a few millivolts of input, but CD and other line-level inputs need 1 volt or more to get proper volume.

It's got a built in phono input, and the ability to play two pairs of speakers simultaneously. Most of the receivers I looked at no longer have this feature. My whole domo is wired for sound and I really wanted that option.

Soon enough I'll pick up a dedicated CD player, and I'll keep shopping for a different receiver. As I mentioned earlier, I pretty much stole this one, but I don't like all the bells and whistles...I want to find an old fashioned, quality, 2 channel high power unit that doesn't have, and does not require, a 65 page manual.