BlueRay players - cheap or $$$$?

artto

What’s the main difference between the few “high-end” (ie: Denon, Pioneer Elite) and the more mainstream BlueRay players (Samsung)? Is this just a build quality/appearance/price-snob appeal thing or do these $$$$ players actually do something that the “lesser” players don’t?

My position nowadays is that eventually I’m going to see this stuff at the end of my driveway waiting for garbage pickup so the less cost the better, unless of course I’m actually getting superior performance, even if it is only under certain conditions.

There are so many different formats and variations today it’s bewildering, not to mention how fast obsolescence now takes place.

At the moment I’m inclined to just buy something like a cheap Samsung BDP1500. Or a PlayStation3 might let me have my cake & eat it too even if I’m not going to be doing much (if any) gaming).

Samsung BDP1500

The 1500 does not decode the new codecs internally for multi-channel analog output. In other words, if you wish to have the player decode Dolby True HD, for instance, and play it through the 5.1 analog input on your receiver or processor... you can't. The 1500 will pass the new codecs through the HDMI, which is only good if you have a newer processor or AVR that can decode the new codecs. I have the older Samsung BD-P1400 and love it. It doesn't have the limitations of the newer design and is a very solid performer. I've heard it on a system much more revealing than mine and was very surprised by its DAC performance. The high end models will offer better quality parts and a larger power supply which usually translates into better audio and video performance, but I have not seen any of these first hand and it is hard to believe that my Samsung can be bettered... but I remember thinking that about my first generation DVD player. Speed of functions and loading are very important considerations when shopping BluRay players. My brother brought his Sony BR player back for its terribly long loading time... 1 minute plus for most discs. The Samsung players are relatively fast, but the Sony PS3 is among the fastest, I'm not sure how the high end players are doing in that area. One thing to consider with the PS3 is noise, some have no problems because of their placement, but I could not use it without distraction during quieter scenes.