Optical out on TV no DTS or DD

Aggie Klipsch

I usually listen in 2 channel and have jumped into HT. I use and Xbox 360 for playing DVD's and have run the optical out to the TV and ran another from the TV to the receiver. All I get is Prologic from the TV. When I run the optical to the receiver then I get DTS and DD. Do most TV's just output prologic? Just wondering because the TV says it is DD. When I watch OTA broadcasts my receiver does indicate DD. Is this normal for most TV's? Just thought I would ask the right people.

Its very possible that your TV's audio menu has a setting as far as enabling Dolby Digital/DTS either on or off for the digital audio output.

Is there a reason why you want to have your audio go through your TV and then to your receiver?

• Moderators

Wuzzer is correct. It would be best to go optical from the Xbox straight to the Receiver. If you are using speakers connected to your receiver for sound, turn the TV volume off and just use the receiver and speakers connected to it.

Your TVdoesn't have a DTS processor, which isn't surprising, since likely, it's only got 2 mediocre speakers in it anyway,

Sounds like the TV won't pass the encoded signal through to the receiver.

as was said, I'd run an optical straight to the receiver as well, and just use plain RCA audio if you want to play Xbox just on the TV's speakers.