Good sounding power amp for Klipsch

BBB

Hi ,I am looking for your opinions for a 5 or 7 x 200(or higher)watt amp that would sound good with this set up 2xRF-7's Frontals

2xRF-5's Surrounds

2xRS-7's Surround Rears

1xRC-7 Center

onkyo 989 receiver

Been using 50/50% HT/music(DVD-A sounds great)

Looking at B&K 7270,Sunfire Cinema Grand II,ATI AT3007

or AT2007,Parasound HCA-2205,Sherbourn 5/1500 .I guess

most of these are cruising around the $3,000 area.

What's the story with the Aragon 2007. The reason I'm asking you experts is because you don't just pick up 4 or 5 of these babies ,throw them in the back of a truck and tell the dealer I'll see you in a week.I think the Krells are out of my price range. I suppose the most important thing I have to remember is how these will sound with the Klipsch and narrow the choices down with your help and add your opinions about other amps I could use with this set up.I would prefer an all in one unit since I have stuff all over the place as it is.But if mono is the best way to then what? Thanks BBB

The Aragon 2007 will begin appearing in dealers in about 30 days. You might also consider the combo of an Aragon 3005 (5ch) and a 3002 (2ch). Expensive but great.

B&K makes 5 and 7 ch amps at 200 wts. Boa is using the 7 ch Reference 7270 so I am sure he will chime in. Outlaw has a seven ch amp coming out in the very near future. There are many good 5 chanel amps out there. Check out the hall of fame at Audioreview.com

I use a Marantz MM9000 which is only rated at 150 watts per chanel but it will run me out of my 3000 cubic foot room. Why do you need so much power with your high sensativity speakers?

Need a great 5 channel amp.No problem take a look at...

ATI 2505(five times 250W RMS...all channels driven)Around $2500 or less

Sunfire Sinature(five times 420W RMS...all channels driven)Around $3500 or less

Aragon and B&K also make good choices.I would get a large Aragon over the larger B&K,the Aragon PSU is very solid and the built on the larger Aragon amps is tank like.

All the above provide damn good sound quality,and power to drive you into the floor.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Dang it Theears,

You have mentioned Bryston so many times I did a slew of research on them and thought I would have to make a tough decision over whether to grab the Outlaw 770 or the Bryston 9 - now you throw out some others. cwm1.gif

The Bryston has the edge in quality I suppose but the 770 Outlaw provides 7 channels at 200 watts. Its baby brother has had great reviews as well. The difference in costs between Bryston and Outlaw- thousands. The Outlaw 770 will be priced at $1799.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

Thanks for your suggestions guys.You are right when you say (and I am aware of)the Klipsch are very efficient.I suppose what I am looking for , if I can put it in one sentence is this.An amp with high QUALITY

power that has some punch and sounds good with the RF's.

I'm starting to help my Dad build a HT using some of my gear and slowly replace my stuff piece by piece.So it's one of those "If I give him this then what do I get" situations. BUT I'm keeping the Klipsch cwm38.gif

This message has been edited by BBB on 02-02-2002 at 10:53 AM

yes the b&k 7270 is sounding sweeter every day. nice to have all 7 in one amp & this thing is so smooth it just keeps begging for more. also seems to have some good synergy w/ mk b&k ref 30 pre/pro. for a 5 channel amp w/ a non-b&k pre/pro an amp like my acurus 200five would do about as well for many less $$$. & i do have it for sale btw at www.audiogon.com Wink.gif

beware though the thing needs some space. it weighs in at 75lbs or so & stands 7.25" high. i have all open sides on the rack & managed to get it in. only 2" clearance on top but seems to be running fine. a lil warm but not hot.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

crash827,

Ok ok yes I did not include Bryston in this "list".Why?

Very simple the Bryston is in a higher class and costs way more.

Most on this BB want the best value for the dollar,and so do I.The Bryston is priced next to the awesome Celeste TITAN multichannel amp.The TITAN takes the Bryston to school.And the Titan is made in Canada,like the Bryston.Yes we Canadians have many great amps to chose from.Bryston,Celeste,Classe to name a few.The Americans live in power amp country,all the monster amps are Made in the USA.Krell is one of the elite.

Now this sounds interesting,a new Outlaw multichannel amp,their inexpensive($1099 US)five channel unit is a sure bet.I wonder how their larger unit will compare to the ATI 2505.

Oh and another trusty maker is CinePro.They make awesome power amps and are priced down to earth.I will try and buy their largest two channel power amp if some money is left after my SVS SS purchase.Rave reviews and positive things is all you will hear or read from the CinePro.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

If I were doing multichannel I would definitely split up my amps. Get a 2 channel for the mains and a three or 5 channel (if doing 7 total) for the rest of it.

I don't know what to think when a 5 channel amp weighs as much as most decent 2 channel amp.

Also, do not buy new. Use www.audiogoN.com - slightly used gear can be had for less than 1/2 the money and allows you to really stretch your money.

I could not afford Anthem or Bryston new - but I managed to get both shopping at AudiogoN.

------------------

deanG

Dean,

"I don't know what to think when a 5 channel amp weighs as much as most decent 2 channel amp."

Well the real deal multichannel power amps weigh in at over 100lbs.100lbs its not your two channel power amp unless you have a mighty Krell or large Levinson.

ATI 1505 my smallest multichannel weighs 74lbs,the 2505 weighs in at almost 110lbs.Only a monster Krell FPB600 is over 180lbs and its a two channel! cwm3.gif

To me 70lbs and up and it well built(minus the ballast Smile.gif ).

If weight is your thing get the GOD of amps...Krell MRA as each monoblock weighs around 700lbs! cwm44.gif

Now you will impress even the most dies hard tubie with over 3500 lbs if you "only" have a five channel sourround system. LOL

I suffer from this also,if an amp is under 30 lbs its NO GOOD and not for me.Unless its a single ended tube marvel with a 5W or less output...and I can run my headphones from it.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Deang: You gave good advice in pointing towards Audiogon for amplifier selection... I picked up my McCormack TLC1 pre and McCormack DNA1 power amp (from listings on audiogon) for half the retail price.

That's $3500 worth in a pre-power combination that I bought for around $1600 total. And the great thing about high-end amps is they sound much better broken in than new.

Of course, there is always a concern about dealing with someone you have never met, especially without the benefit of a return or warranty; I try to make sure the person with whom I am dealing has established a good record of positive feedback on the site, and cross-reference with ebay or another site through which the individual may have sold ... a phone conversation along with email always puts my mind a little more at ease.

And, to stay on topic, I have only good things to say about the McCormack line of amplifiers; the sound, I am told, comes about as near to tubes as SS can get. I loved my Carver for years, but the McCormack nearly brought me to tears the first time I heard it...

I have to agree with all of you about the deals that can be found on Audiogon but referring to what Chuckears said, as far as dealing with people I don't know, my track record has not been good dealing with strangers.Besides I'm one of those"If I did'nt have bad luck I would have no luck at all" people. Just this year I returned a brand new guitar amp and a receiver that were both fried fresh brand new out of the box.These were not B stock items.My dealers know me well enough that when I walk back into their shop with something I just purchased they know the problem is REAL.I have the warranty and a new unit.

Getting back to the subject ,the ATI amps look good.I see they have the 3007 7x300w amp.and the 2007 7x200w.

Boa I'm glad to hear your input about the B&K 7270.I think you answered a question I had about the heat it gives off.I'm waiting for a price on it from one of my dealers.And EARS, I don't know about that Canadian stuff? HA HA ...........STOP! Just joking.MY family is from Newfoundland.Lardi Thundrin'jeezis ! Don't want anyone to get mad at me.Actually Ears I'm pretty interested in the large Aragon.Thanks guys.Have fun.BBB

P.S.I wonder why the Aragon 2007 weights only 49 pounds compared to these other big boys you mentioned.

This message has been edited by BBB on 02-03-2002 at 05:35 AM

Hey theears,

Yeah I kind of dig Outlaw - particularly the way they are going against the grain right now. I look forward to seeing the final product when its released and comparing it to the Bryston 9B - of course now I am contemplating getting the Bryston 4B and 6B so that there is plenty of power in reserve. Still, if Outlaw produces something with incredible quality and all that power for $1799, it may be an undeniable bargain.

I am making the move to separates so I have a lot of research to perform before I make a decision - of course, I would also buy this (Bryston)equipment of Ebay and Audiogon because I can't justify in my own head spending thousands and thousands for it new.

Now here is a product I would like to get some thoughts on: it is the new Outlaw preamp/processor and I wonder how you feel it compares to some of the other high end equipment.

The Model 950's features line up this way:

Surround Processing: Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround EX, Dolby ProLogic II (two modes plus ProLogic emulation with Panorama, Center Width and Dimension Control), DTS 5.1, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete and DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix, DTS Neo:6 (two modes), Cirrus Extra Surround (Music and Cinema Modes), "Five Channel" and "Seven Channel" Surround, True Stereo Bypass

Digital Inputs: Four optical, two coaxial

Direct Input: Full 5.1 channel direct input for outboard sources such as DVD-A or SACD

Analog Inputs: Nine in total: five A/V inputs, all with both composite and "S" Video, two audio only for CD and Tape. All connections for audio/video/digital inputs are gold. All analog inputs may be switched to a "bypass" mode.

Extensive video switching, as well as Composite-to-S Video and S Video-to-Composite conversion.

Component Video: Two inputs/One Output, HDTV capable bandwidth (40 MHz)

Digital Outputs: One Optical and one coax

Tape Outputs: One set for audio and one set for audio/video

Multi-Zone: Separate source may be fed to a second zone or tape recorder, even while the main room is off. Separate amplifier trigger for the remote-zone amplifier.

IR: Separate inputs for remote sensors in main room and remote zone.

Triggers: Separate triggers for the main room and remote room power amplifiers

Remote: Backlit, eight device capable with both internal IR code library and learning capabilities. Four separate macro programs may be entered.

Tuner: High quality FM Stereo/FM/AM tuner built-in

Removable IEC type power cord

Two line LCD display and comprehensive on-screen menu system

Triple Crossover system allows selection of different crossover at 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or 150Hz for front left/right, center and surround speakers

Individual mode memories for each input

"Bypass" mode for all analog inputs routes the source directly to the precision, VCA controlled, analog volume control so that all digital processing may be bypassed

Full adjustment and customization of Dolby ProLogic II modes allows customized surround presentation

"Theater EQ" mode to compensate for the brightness recorded into many movie soundtracks

"Night" mode for Dolby Digital soundtracks

High-grade, audiophile components throughout, including glass-epoxy circuit boards and fully enclosed torrodial power transformer

DSP e-prom socketed and removable for future upgrade possibility

Output level trim to input source or internal test tone for all channels

Separate power on/power off remote commands for easy use with third-party programmable remotes and in complex audio/video systems

Display Dim/Display Off settings for use in low-light home theater environments

BTW: They are pricing this @ $899.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200