kg 5.5's

slovell

I can't help you with your questions, but I also saw your posts on the AK forum. Are you sure the problem is with the speakers or maybe the room, or the source instead? Hate to see you waste money and muck up a perfectly fine speaker. But hey, if you want to throw some green at it, good luck with that.

installed b&k's titanium diaphragms and they really sound great. anyone planning on using these on their 5.5's should be aware of the following: in the k-85 horn between the horn itself and the diaphragm there is a plastic dispersion baffle (at least i think this is what its called, correct me if i'm wrong) that has to be left out when installing the titanium diaphragms. i found out the hard way that if you use these they kill the sound of the new diaphragms. they actually touch the titanium domes in several places thus quite effectively deadening the hell out of them and causing mucho distortion. it was quite a relief when i went back in and removed them that all that junk disappeared and my highs now really sing. i highly recommend this upgrade for anyone with these speakers. thanks bob.
best regards, sam

great news...I replaced thediaphragms in both pair of Quartets with Bob Crites (B&K Sound) and they cleared up the highs and sound great!...how do you rate the kg 5.5s???I have never had the pleasure of hearing them...can you compare them at all to other kgs or Klipsch Heritage???...98dB is pretty efficient...

Bill

hi bill!
the only comparisons i can make would be from personal experience. i had the 4.5's before these. the 5.5's have much better midbass because of the additional woofer and both of them are a little harsh in the highs. the titanium diaphragms really cured this in my 5.5's. the cabinets were built on the cheap, solid wood with no bracing or insulation. i've added some insulation inside and reglued the inner seams which helped tighten up the sound a bit. i love the way they sound, very good on rock and jazz, open and a lot of punch with a decent soundstage. these guys will play as loud as you can stand, really strong. i retired them a while back for some jamo c-607's, wanted to try something new. the jamos sounded pretty good so about three or four months later i decided to sell the 5.5's. had a buyer for them, got them back out and hooked them up to check them out. put on some dire straits and sat back. after about fifteen minutes i called the buyer and cancelled the deal. these old guys just absolutely blew away the jamos in every way. i guess there's something to be said for giving your ears and brain a change of sound. i heard things in the 5's that i never heard before. lots of inner detail, openess and presence that i hadn't noticed before. i bought them new in '93 and just can't seem to get away from them, probably a good thing. they certainly weren't perfect from the factory, but with a little work they can become a damn good speaker. i've listened to a friend's nht's and i'll take my 5's every time. you can get these speakers cheap off of ebay or audiogon, 200 to 300 bucks lately and like i said before, with a little work on the cabinets and the tweeters you'll have a really good speaker for not much money. they really like tubes, try them.
best regards, sam

sherwood-newcastle cd
parasound 1100 dac
monarchy dip
musical fidelity x10d retubed with mullards
adcom gfa-7000
jvc ql y66f table
outlaw 950 preamp

yep, that's exactly what i did. i did one other thing, i covered the inside of the cabinets with a half inch layer of dense foam. i used sleeping bag mattress pads from wally world and cut them to fit. one side of the pad is flat and the other side is bumpy like egg cartons. i turned the bumpy side toward the drivers and used two sided tape to secure the flat side to the inner cabinet surface. if i ever decide to remove it the tape comes right off, no harm done. to me, the bass sounded tighter and smoother after putting the insulation inside. i wanted to keep the insulation thin to not alter the inner volumn characteristics too much. besides, the stuff was cheap.
sam

after further listening the top end sounded too forward and diffuse. i took the horns back out, made a spacer from hard cardboard that is thick enough to give the new titanium domes enough clearance and put the dispersion baffle back in. the horns REALLY sound good now.
best regards, sam

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , I don`t have a single problem with my KG 5.5`s I got a class H amp from emotiva & it fix the brightness of them but that glue & insulation thing got me thinking ha why not

so my question is what glue is best & I`m thinking polyfill also did you insulate back, sides & top, bottom or would that be to much ?

Jeff