AC/DC: Black Ice

wheelman

Excellent album if your an AC/DC fan you must own this one. I would of bought it just for tracks 9-15. So I do like what would be considered the B side more, but its still a very solid album. Decibel is just classic AC/DC groove. Tracks 9-15 are all highlights for me. Just really good AC/DC material not heard of since the early Brian years as a whole. Brian seems to be on top of his game in the vocal department. I think his singing has a lot to do with this album being better than what I've heard in awhile by them. They usually floor us with one stand out track or two but it's been awhile since they have had some solidity to their albums IMO.. They always deliver especially Mal and Ang, but there is something signature about this one thats got that "vibe" yet fresh. The bottom line is it's a real good album and I'm not that good of a reviewer.

Wheelman, you're a lot better reviewer than I could ever be. Brian Johnson is a great vocalist, there is nobody quite like him. He's 60 years old, too, and I agree he does seem to be on the top of his game on the new album. I've listened to it only a little bit because I've been working from home, and a lot of my music listening is done in the car, but I agree, it's a solid album.

Really, there's no other band quite like AC/DC. And you'll never hear them doing a ballad, just straight up rock. And it's interesting how they appeal to just about everybody. I mean you might go to a wedding dance and they'll play AC/DC and you have old ladies dancing to it. Or you go to a country bar and suddenly You shook me all night long comes on. Guess that's why Back in Black is the 2nd best selling album of all time (worldwide--5th in the US)

AC/DC was the first band I studied in depth, buying all their CDs over the course of a few years and basically listening to it exclusively for a few years. I know all their albums well. (Since AC/DC, I've studied Rush, Weezer and Neil Young)

Black Ice is a long record, 15 songs, 55 minutes.

If the tracklist were the following, I believe the record would be hands down their best overall, most solid, period. Star Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 stars

2 Skies on Fire 6 Stars (Unreal)
5 War Machine 5 Stars (Classic)
6 Smash N Grab 6 Stars (Unreal)
1 Rock and Roll Train 4 Stars (Solid)
9 Decibel 5 Stars (Classic)
10 Stormy May Day 5 Stars (Classic)
11 She Likes Rock N Roll 4 Stars (Solid)
15 Black Ice 4 Stars (Solid)

After listening to the playlist above for a while, I moved on to some other of my favorite AC/DC records, Powerage, 74 Jailbreak, For those about to Rock, Back in Black and so on, but they really don't stand alongside this one. We really, really got a treat from the guys with this record, their best ever!!