hot receiver....?????

InVeNtOr

i have an onkyo tx-sr805. with it just hooked up in standby that thing gets hot. is this normal? i had an old sony for 7years or so and with it on watching movies it was never hot....not even a little bit. does getting hot mean it uses lots of electricity? any correlation? i was looking at the new onkyo tx-sr806 and it seems from specs that it's much better than the 805. go figure i finally buy a new avr and it's old after a few months! i am also not happy that the onkyo doesn't have a ground pin on the receiver, i would think that would be helpful somehow.

what is the compatable yammy receiver to the 805/806? anyone own it? does it get hot? pros/cons?

thanks again....

I have had two Onkyos and both got very hot. This just seems to be how they run and it does not seem to affect their life, however you must allow plenty of ventilation especially at the top of the receiver or you could have problems. If you plan on stacking other components on top of the receiver I would recommend that you only use short depth components and add a slight spacer under the feet of the other component over the receiver to give at least one inch open ventilation directly above the receiver. If you do not provide plenty of ventilation I think you will shorten the life of the receiver. Also I recommend an open back cabinet if you place the receiver into a cabinet. I have owned my current TX-NR900 for about 8 years and even though it runs hot it works very well and has never given me any problems. I have always been very happy with the performance and sound of my Onkyo.

Its very normal. The 805 actually has a built-in fan that kicks in if the receiver gets up to a certain temperature as well.

I'm not sure how the 806 seems 'much better' than the 805. The only differences I can tell is that its THX Ultra 2 Plus certified (which only helps listening while at lower volume levels) and that it has 5 HDMI ins instead of the 805's 4.

The 806 is also lighter in weight than the 805 by over 5 pounds. Not that it matters a whole lot, but in very general terms a heavier amp/receiver means its going to be heavier duty overall.

You can browse the AVS Forum website for 805 owners and see what others have said about theirs. Some have used a small fan similar to what would be installed in a computer and placed it over the right rear of the receiver blowing into it.

i haven't really hooked it up yet. i only did a very small test when i first got everything. if you look in the Arch. section you will see my new et center. i had to wait until i had that built and stained before i could move forward. i plan on using the emotiva for the front 3 only and let the onkyo power the rear surrounds.

as for the et center goes, i have 2 very large cut holes in the top of the center. one for the emotiva amp and the other for the onkyo. my center (rc-7) covers most of the upper hole right now, but once i add very small .25 clear feet i should open up the venting for that receiver.

with that reciever running hot, does that mean is sucks up a lot of juice? should i have to watch my electric meter? right now the onkyo and emotiva is hooked up to my furman so all i have to do is push in the "bypass" button to kill all power to both of them.

i thought when i read about the 806 it had quite a few better options, something about the eq, the set up distance, and little things like that. i guess it really doesn't matter, i don't have the cash to buy anything else right now.

OK I found your pic of your et center, nice custom design. I think you should be fine for ventilation, the most important area the vents on top of the receiver looks like it has good ventilation. If you feel like it needs it you can always wire a small computer style fan in the back of your et center to pull heat away from the receiver but I don't think you would need it. Onkyos do run hot but I don't think you should notice any noticible difference in electricity used on your electric bill.

I also had a top end Sony before I got my first Onkyo the Sony ran much cooler but the Onkyo was a huge improvement.

I would be really interested in knowing how well the Emotiva sounds with the Onkyo once you get it hooked up especially for 2 ch music.

what i will do is once i set everything up and balance the system out with a spl meter, i am going to invite as many people over to do "listen" tests. i do not have calibrated ears at all. i can't tell the difference between heritage or reference speakers at all. i guess i have very young ears. my hearing is great too, i get all 0 and 5 when the normal scale starts at 30.

i am hoping to get quite a few people over to help tweek it out too. i would really like to get some good feed back so i can move forward with some acoustic material. i would think it being in my living room i would be limited but if a little acoustic treatment helps then i will go for it. i may just call a THX rep over and pay him for his time to bring all the equipement over and "test" out my gear.

as far as emotiva goes for 2ch, i was told, (by emotiva, so there may be some swaying there) that if you bi-amp the speakers with their amps you get a really clean clear sound. again i don't have the ears to hear that, but i hope other people will. once i get this whole thing up and running i plan on doing my crossover mod. i have already priced it out and it's less than $100 for me to do it. i also have some sound material that i am going to put inside the speakers and do a really good A/B test to see if i can hear the difference. then again i will have to invite people over to see if they hear it too.

all in all, it should be fun! the next step, get the electrician over to run my 20amp dedicated line.

**i keep hearing that onkyo is horable for 2ch, maybe with the emotiva i will get something respectable**

I have been using my 805 for 3 days now and can concur that mine runs hot too. I had heard this before purchasing. I just make sure to not place any other equipment on top. Before my purchase I talked to one of the head techs at onkyo to ask him about the 805 vs 806, and was told that the 805 has superior audio quality. I do have a serious concern though. Each morning that I have turned it on, I have to wait about 5 minutes to get audio. Is this normal? Until my new hdmi cables arrive from monoprice I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR hooked up via optical 1 input and digital input screen 1-4 set to cbl/sat opt1 with auto select . Speaker imimpedence is set to 6ohm (my choices are 6 or 4) The DVD player is hooked up via digital coax and have the same symtoms. Video is running via component through the 805 and the video comes on right away. After the first 5 minutes or so (warmed up) there are no issues.

man that almost sounds bad....i haven't used mine yet, but i did hook it up once when i first got it. i hooked it up to test my speakers out before i sold them. i hooked up the onkyo with the emotiva and the hd dvd player. used hdmi from monoprice, and listened to 1 cd and then just used the radio to test the speakers. i didn't have to let anything warm up, it started from the moment i pushed the power button.

Hmm, the wait to get sound does not sound right, I have never heard anyone have that problem before. Anyway if your receiver is new and you are waiting 5 minutes to get sound I would try exchanging it for another as that definitely does not sound good and may be a problem that becomes even worse with time.

• Moderators

Each morning that I have turned it on, I have to wait about 5 minutes to get audio. Is this normal?

No, that is not normal at all. My Onkyo takes around 5 seconds or less before it begins playing. Try this, turn your dvd player on and have it playing. Turn your receiver off. Then turn the receiver back on while the dvd player is still playing. How long does it take before you begin hearing sound? If it is still 5 min, you have something going on that should not be. I know dvd players varry in their loadup times, especially older bluray and DVD Recorders.

Few items that are gone in the Onkyo SR806 are the beefier power supply, Burr-Brown PCM1796 DACs (one of the bests), Dual Push-Pull Amplifier, Independent Block Structure that were in the SR805 - thus accounting for almost 15lbs difference between the two (~37lbs vs ~51lbs, I guess.

(Look at the professional reviews of both models on homethearhifi for more info.)

Yes, these units do run hot, which the labels on their tops clearly indicate. Just leave enough ventilation as suggested in the manual and you're fine.

Also, there probably newer firmware available on these out of the box. Check with AVSForum as how to check and upgrade the firmware if applicable.