How long does break in take?

tommyboy

I remember when I switched out the old capacitors and inductors, it took a while for them to burn in. 100 hours sounds about right, if you have an old solid state amp and can set the cd to replay the cd or song, then it isn't that bad. It didn't require full volume and when it was done, I definitely liked the sound better than when they were just installed.

Other than "moving parts" doing their initial "moving", etc., the "break in" part is likely more of a pscho-acoustic phenomena as one's ears become accustomed to the change. Maybe we should call that first couple of hours a "Is anything going to break?" period. [;)]

Here's an example of pscho stuff..... It's that time of the year, so I re-did all my speaker wires and connections yesterday, and while I was at it, finished installing a master speaker/amp "box" that allows me to change which amp powers which pair of speakers. Fired it everything up and made sure I had not made any mistakes, loose whatevers, left on right, etc. Everything sound exactly like before, etc. Then... to test my contraption, I switched a ss amp to a tube amp driving a pair of K'horns. Now, that being said, I have a bunch of 3x5 cards written down for the settings on a SAE-2800 PEQ for each amp & speaker pair. But I could not find the cards. No problem, I've done it before, but this time it drove me crazy because it did not sound "right". After a couple hours of tweaking the PEQ ever so slightly, I finally got it where I wanted it. I had a "brain bubble", and remembered where I had put my 3x5 cards on which I had wrote the settings.....

Guess what, after all the headaches, soul searching, misery, etc., when I looked at the card for that amp and K'horns, the settings that I finally arrived at were.... the same as before.

Pscho-acoustics... the mind "hears" what it thinks it want's to hear.....