Taps Over The P.A.?! How WRONG is that?

BLSamuel

While attending a funeral for Dick, one of Dad's cousin's husband a few days ago, I wondered if the speaker(s) in our church's steeple still worked. For years, as long as I can recall, there was an old Garrard turntable, a changer I think, hooked up to a Bogen P.A. amplifier with some zip cord dispappearing up into the ceiling. The idea was to play LPs of bell carillons over the speaker(s) after church which I did as a teenager. Put on a few Christmas album following the early morning Christmas service (a Swedish church celebrating Saint Lucia admittedly late). The family that had donated this was wanting to build a bell carillon but that never materialized. Nowadays there's a Radio Shack cassette player connected I presume to the same Bogen amplifier though uncharcteristic for me I forgot to look though I did notice the turntable, in need of repair, was still there.

My Dad's cousing John answered my question following a funeral for John's brother in law Dick's funeral. Dick did not want a military funeral so no there was no military funeral.

One of John's neighbor's and long time friends has passed away a couple of months before and John told me that for his military funeral, they played taps over the speaker(s) in the steeple. He needless to say was quite appalled by that and so was I. I had played Taps at a funeral during high school, probably my senior year. The principal or somebody come and got me out of 5th hour and asked if I could go to the cemetary and play Taps. Returned to class 6th hour. Of course I could. That seemed like a very high honor to me and would not be right to not play taps at a militry funeral just bacause the regualr bugle player was sick. Natually I was relieved nobody had been in an accident or anything. Probably better to have no advance warning or I'd have worn myself out practicing the night before or worried myself into not being able to remember how to play taps. John just couldn't believe that someone couldn't be bothered to find someone to play taps. 2 high schools about 8-1/2 miles away. Another probably 3 to 5 miles away. Pay them even no big deal. I don't remember being paid or even offered to pay but would've though it disrespectful to be paid.

So to all you military guys and anyone else... what do you think of playing Taps over a loud speaker rather than finding someone to play it live. Traditionally, I think it's supposed to be 2 with the 2nd playing a little behind and softer as an echo though I don't recall ever seeing that.

I think I may have promised John I'd play at his funeral if they coudn't find someone. Better dig out my trumpet and make sure I still can. [:|]

It's all about paying respects to a comrade in arms.....ideally...it would be expected to be done by a member of a uniformed service.

I personally would rather see an old soldier out there humming taps than hearing it from a tape or a record.

The indiviudal gave part or all of their life in support of our nation...the very least we can do is present the appropiate honors.

It's all about paying respects to a comrade in arms.....ideally...it would be expected to be done by a member of a uniformed service.

I personally would rather see an old soldier out there humming taps than hearing it from a tape or a record.

The indiviudal gave part or all of their life in support of our nation...the very least we can do is present the appropiate honors.

I think that's what I was trying to say in way too many words. I'd think that if a proper person isn't available to play, or hum, that even a high school kid would be much better than a recording, no matter how good the reproduction. John was pretty much appalled that they played a recording at his long time neighbor and friend's funeral. The deceased was also a long time friend of my father's.

I hope so.

I'm sure it was just a last ditch replacement as the VFW or whoever was conducting the military part of the service wasn't able to make it.

In any case, my Dad's cousin was pretty upset about it. It just didn't seeem right to me either. I'm sure the intent was honorable.

Next time I'm up that way I'll visit the Pastor who lives next door to my brother and my old home and have him suggest to the VFW or whoever normally conducts the military service that it might be a good idea to have an arrangement in place with one of the local schools should they need plan B.

Maybe he'd be willing to put his own back up plan in place. I'm sure one of the local schools could supply a trumpet player on short notice. In theory, the speaker(s) in the bell tower was probably much better than a tinny boom box. Many years ago I thought it sounded pretty good but I'm not sure I've heard it for 20 some years.

For all I know, maybe it's common to play a recording of Taps but it seems there'd be more honor in getting a live player.

BEC's link is to a device to allow a comrade to ceremoniously play th bugle when no bugler is available. Not a live player but it allows a live comrade to at least provide the image of playing and the sound would be coming from the "bugle". http://www.ceremonialbugle.com/

It also states that Congress passed a law in 2000 that allows a recorded version of Taps to be played to be used if a live horn player is not available.

Quite a step up from the pure recording though this appears to be a recording being played from a bugle but at least by another veteran - in itself a step above a terrified high school student.

I played Taps once in high school on no notice - terrified as all get out that I'd screw up royally - also seemed like an honor I didn't deserve but felt very privileged to be able to fulfill the need for a trumpet player - probably would've been a nervous wreck if I'd have known I'd be doing so more than 15 minutes before doing so. One of my youngest daughter's friend's older brother has played at numerous military funerals in town.

The honor guard at my Father's funeral "played" one of those "ceremonial bugles."

This member of the family thought it was pretty lame.

I would probably think it was pretty lame also. But at least it was "played" by the honor guard but in my mind a veteran still deserves a live person playing, even if they have to drag a kid out of high school. I thought it was an honor when I was asked to play Taps at a funeral in high school. Did not feel worthy really, but how could one say no?

When my father died in 1974, Taps was played by a member of the honor guard. When my uncle passed away 4 years ago, a taped version of Taps was played. When I asked one of the servicemen at the cemetary why a taped version was used, he replied that WW II veterans were dying at a rate of nearly 1000 per day. I turned around to see three more funeral corteges lined up behind that of my uncle's. Not enough buglers for the greatest generation.

cutbacks and the War have done this as well...when my Father passed in 1995 having been over 50 years (retired but stayed active with the Army) he was promised certain things...as the one with the Honor of arranging those things (Military Band, Taps, Pall Bearers) I was a bit surprised when I was informed that due to cutbacks they wouldn't be sending any of it...a Captain was assigned (after much complaining by me) and God Bless him he was great but cutbacks really take their toll...

When my Uncle (Dad's brother) and a WWII veteran too passed, the Marines did send a Sergeant with a cassette tape recording of Taps...I too thought it was a bit cheesy but at least they made the attempt...

Having gone to many Police Officer Funerals and Memorials, I have seen a mixed amount of actual of live and now have seen what appears to be a Bugle with a digital list of tunes...Taps being one of them...

Bill

I've never heard taps played at the church.. always at the site of the burial.

That said, if the cemetary is adjacent to the church, I suppose something is better than nothing, but really, anyone with a trumpet can play it.

But, I still can't listen without my eyes welling up, but that's another story over some beer..

I've never heard taps played at the church.. always at the site of the burial.

That said, if the cemetary is adjacent to the church, I suppose something is better than nothing, but really, anyone with a trumpet can play it.

Yes. This is a small country church where the cemetary is the yard adjacent to the church. The speaker(s) in the steeple are better than nothing I suppose and much better than a boombox (I pray they never stoop that low). Seems kind of disgraceful to me to not at least find a high school trumpet or cornet player if a proper military bugle player isn't available.

I've never been in the military and hearing Taps makes my eyes well up.