HK reciever sufficient?

jkeb74

My current setup is RF82 floors, RC52 center, RW12D sub, and S2 surrounds. I currently have a AVR247 Harmon Kardon reciever. I was wondering if this reciever is sufficient to power these speakers, i've been told yes and no so I figured I would come to people who know and care. Thanks in advance

• Moderators

Your receiver is sufficient to power the RF-82's. I had a HK AVR55 (55 watts/ch) powering a pair of RF-83's and the RC-7. It sounded absolutely amazing....but...at high volumes, the HK ran out of gas. Vocals began to be harsh and not smoothe. Same was true with movies. Your receiver will sound great with the RF-82's up to a descent volume but if you want to crank it up a bit, you will likely need more. If your amp has pre-outs, you can always add a separate amp down the road. If not, you will need to upgrade your receiver if you are not satisfied with the amount of power it has to offer.

Klipsch sepeakers are very efficient so you won't need lots of power to run them. The HK receivers have "True" wpc rating and it is more than enough to run your speakers. Relax, crank it up and enjoy.

Welcome to the Form.............lots of info here to help you..............

Welcome to the forum,

Like Bill stated, you will be fine. Some people are running 200 wpc on speakers, your 50 wpc is going to be fine. The only thing you will see is that the receiver Will max out before your speakers will. Plus if you really do use all those watts, continuously, you will be deaf and blow out the window in your house and your neighbors.

Just sit back and enjoy, the upgrade bug will bit in a few months. It always does, even faster the longer you stick around here.

James

Well that solves that fight. Much appreciated guys, thanks for making me feel welcome, haha :) always get apprehensive asking questions thanks a lot.

I do see how the reciever maxes out before the speakers, though. I end up turning up the reciever around half and over half way sometimes watching movies and such. I was looking at a few recievers at work and some I could order with higher power ratings so I wouldnt tax the unit as much. All is well, i'm happy for now :)

[H] Just how I am when it comes to the internet. I game quite a bit so i'm used to getting flamed quite a bit when asking questions.

So running significantly under the speakers RMS doesn't damage the speaker at all? That was an argument one of our stores HT installers put up

I do see how the reciever maxes out before the speakers, though. I end up turning up the reciever around half and over half way sometimes watching movies and such.

Your receiver has a dB scale for volume control that starts at -80 dB and goes a bit beyond 0 on the plus side. What does it say on the screen when you turn it up to watch a movie?

Your receiver has a dB scale for volume control that starts at -80 dB and goes a bit beyond 0 on the plus side. What does it say on the screen when you turn it up to watch a movie?

-40 is low comfortable for news etc. Usually around -30/mid-low 20s when watching a good action flick.

can i ask what store you are talking about? who ever said "running significantly under the speakers RMS" is a complete tard. sorry, just my 2cents. like everyone said, you would be fine, you just can't crank it up until your ears bleed. don't feel bad about asking questions, i bet i have askes around 100 seperate questions on here.....

enjoy your set up....

welcome to the Fun!

Let me make a suggestion.

If you want to demonstrate the efficiency of klipsch speaker, here's what you do.

Go to your nearest Magnolia Best Buy store, select a receiver and some speakers other the klipsch.

Start your listening by setting the volume to a comfortable level, even a little load if you wish.

Go back and forth between all the speakers you selected, then at the end of the test try the klipsch speakers.

I bet you will find yourself turning the volume way down every time you switch to the klipsch speakers to achieve the same comfortable level of music

Try it you will see