TV's and more (analog/digital/HD/etc)

Fotog

With the upcoming change from analog to digital signals, many consumers are upgrading their home entertainment screens. I am one of those.

My primary TV has been a 32" Sony Trinitron XBR Wega flat screen monster (supporting up to 1080 res). It is about 10 years old ('96/'97/'98) and probably the earliest version of this model series. It has had an excellant picture and in my opinion continues to have. Movies (VCR/DVD) were and continue to be excellant when viewed on this set with video S cables (this set predates HDMI). I have digital cable as my current TV signal source. These are my questions:

1. With the move to Digital signal and the advent of HDTV - is the picture quality on the newer Flat Panel 16:9 format LCD monitors equal to my current massive tube? (or even superior?) ( I am maxed at 36-37" width so Plasma likely is not an option).

2. If the newer HDTV's are superior what makes them so?

3. Is the cost of buying a new HDTV (minimum $800-$3000) worth the veiwing difference over the ability of my current XBR Wega?

I'm sure someone here has pretty profound knowledge on these systems and I appreciate up front your thoughts. BTW, the Klipsch system (KLF-20's/C-7/ Sub and Yamaha) is the sound provider.

The upcoming change from analog to digital is ONLY the off air signals one receives with an antenna. TV stations will change their over the air broadcasts from analog to digital. So, if you have a TV antenna on your roof you are affected and need a converter box (which are sold everywhere now).

You mention digital cable so you are not affected. You do not need to do anything and will notice no difference in the quality of your programming.

The internet says your TV will do 1080i and 720P. There are only 3 reasons to get a new TV. GAMES, Blue Ray DVDs, and potentially energy efficiency. Cable and satellite typically broadcast at 480P, 1080i, and some at 720P.

There are no 1080P programs that I know of over the either satellite or cable (I am not that up on cable though). Dish Network recently instituted 1080P PPV movies as a first. So, if you do not play games which would benefit by a 1080P TV, or watch Blue Ray DVDs, then you already have as high a resolution as the current programming.

Although by spec your TV is "good enough", a new flat panel LCD or plasma with probably look better since it is newer technology. Same as you looking at different TVs at Best Buy and some look better than others when the specs are the same or similar.

So, you do not need a new TV to receive the currenlty broadcasted HDTV signals as best as they can be shown, but you would probably think you need one if you compared yours side by side with a new one. The new ones MAY use less electricity as well.

I don't have the exact knowledge you're looking for, and it ain't profound, but I did have a 27" Sony Wega for many years until I got my present 32" Sony LCD Bravia about 2-3 years ago. I'm surprised to now learn that my Wega supported 1080i, because I didn't run hi-def channels before the Bravia. So, I can't compare 1080i between the two..

I did conclude, though, that the LCD had a sharper, more detailed picture on the same broadcast NON-Hi-def resolution (I don't know what resolutions I was seeing back then). I also know the following:

• The 32" XBR fit exactly into the space for the 27" Wega (fortunate, as I have an enclosed cabinet!)
  • The 1080i pic on HD is FAR clearer, more detailed than anything I ever saw on the Wega (but didn't see HD on the Wega)
  • The SOUND from the Bravia's own speakers is terrible (I do not have a HT) -- far inferior to the sound from the Wega, and intolerable IMO.

The sound eventually forced me to get a separate 2-channel amp and speakers (Arcam and Polk), which I'm now happy with.

A current problem: I can only get HD directly from the cable box, and the Bravia has very slow, cumbersome switching between it and the DVD and VCR player inputs. The VCR player won't relay the HD signal, and I haven't found a way to switch quickly between the cable box for HD and the VCR. Perhaps this isn't a problem with your DVD player.

Hope this helps --

Mark - truly appreciate your thoughts. They support my thoughts and it is encouraging to read that I pretty much have a grasp of the options. I do not have Blue Ray presently and I think that would be something one would want if they intended to optimize the potential of a high def system. For 10-12 year old technology the XBR Wega was pretty darn good. Have gotten alot of veiwing pleasure from it. Thanks again for your thoughts.