Dispel my doubts!

kdonn

KD, I live in Hillcrest and your are welcome to come by sometime and here my Las. I do not have a sub but as you have read the Las are usually spot on with a good sub. If you want to hear there bass capability I have a Korg Kaossilator Dynamic Phase Synthesizer that will hits some lows that those who think the Las may be bass light would have to reconsider[:D]

Shoot me a pm if your interested and we can get together sometime.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Chorus I is ported and the Chorus II has a passive radiator...both operate on the same principal. The majority of the sonic signature will be the same, especially when compared against a sealed alignment. As far as porting in general, Klipsch uses it in almost all their designs because it yields lower distortion and higher sensitivity for the same bandwidth.

If you try a Cornwall, try to try it with your MC240. IMO, Cornwalls and old tube amps are not always the best match. In some rooms, especially in corners, the Cornwalls can be a bit bloated, and when matched to an older tube amp I find the quality of the bass to be a disappointment.

For the record, I love my Cornwalls, but I think they sound best with a really good quality 100wpc SS amp. The bass that the Cornwall can produce with a quick, clean, powerful amp is very impressive.

Someone earlier in this thread said that Khorns love MC240's, or something to that effect. I agree 100%. I think you would love that combination. The only thing I would say about Khorns is that they are very room dependent. The room doesn't have to be perfect, but you do need two really good corners and a sitting position that puts you in the sweet spot in front of them. If they are on a long wall, it's preferable not to have too much furniture between them (for imaging and soundstage). The bass from Khorns is like nothing else, it comes at you from around the room, not at you with the "woofer in the box" kind of sound. The bass from Khorns is as much a sensation as it is sound, which is especially true when the speakers and room are working well together.

La Scalas will give you the same kind of high end as the Khorns, but they have a very different sounding bass, and for your listening will probably require a sub. They are the most flexible of any Heritage speaker, and will work in any room and almost any position equally well. One thing to note about La Scalas is that the midrange horn is set much lower than the Khorn. This is something that prohibits me from using them in my living room because there is a piece of furniture on one side that would block the mid horn, which is one of the reasons why I stick with Khorns.

I know you have a WAF issue. Don't we all! But with a little negotiation, I bet you could persuade her to allow two new beautiful pieces of furniture to come into the unused corners of the living room. No?

Greg

post-11090-13819427210268_thumb.jpg

I know you have a WAF issue. Don't we all! But with a little negotiation, I bet you could persuade her to allow two new beautiful pieces of furniture to come into the unused corners of the living room. No?

Greg

That is how I've always looked at it. I've always considered my speakers to be part of the furniture in my room and often treat them as such.

the RF-83s were very bright, sometimes even a bit strident.

From my experience, the Denon receiver powering the 83's probably made the 83's sound their worst.......and the Heritage speakers you heard, also.

A Denon receiver without a seperate amp to my ears sounds stale, edgy, bright and anemic. Very fatiguing to lisen to.......Klipsch will expose all of these poor qualities, unfortunately.

I have RF-7's.....similar to the 83's.......and I have to say that a treated room makes all the difference in the world. My RF-7's finally have a "warm" sound that I never was able to acheive by constantly changing gear in an untreated room.

The room that you're auditioning these speakers in is a HUGE factor........and the source feeding the Klipsch speakers is just as critical. Whatever Klipsch speakers you choose, you can't go wrong. Finding the right combination (room,preamp,amps etc.) to bring them to their full potential is the interesting part. This forum can help a great deal in choosing the right components.........or drive you insane. [;)]

An update...

So I arranged to hear a Chorus II system through a friend of a friend today. I schlepped my MC240 over to the guy's house just to hear as close as possible what my own equipment would sound like. I didn't have my preamp and of course I didn't have my room, but I had my amp and my music, a good selection this time. I wasn't sure how easy it would be for him to reconnect things, and it turned out to not be very easy, so I connected my cd player directly to my MC240, put it in twin-amp mode, and used the gain controls for volume. Worked pretty well. I also listened to his system with his Rotel pre and power. And for the record, this guy has been through something like eight sets of Klipsch speakers including a pair of La Scalas. He mentioned that years ago he used to use a Denon amp too and realized after hearing Rotel that it sounded terrible. So there's another experienced Klipsch fan saying Denon and Klipsch don't go so good together. I can certainly attest to the RF-83s sounding pretty bad with the Denon amp I heard. He was actually familiar with that very same system at the store I heard it in and confirmed that not only is it a Denon amp, it's a Denon home theater receiver with the pre and power in the same unit. It just seems odd they'd use that system for selling.

Anyway, offhand, I couldn't hear much difference between his Rotel and my McIntosh amplifier. They both sounded very nice with the Chorus II pair. I still find the top end very bright, as I did with the RF-83s, but they were not bright and strident or harsh, just bright. I would be tempted to eq it out. The bottom end, however, was a whole different animal from the RF-83s. It was big, fat, round, and very much there. Definitely nothing to complain about. They definitely didn't have quite the extension of my CSW Towers, but that was the only aspect where they didn't absolutely trounce the Towers. Percussion attacks were very nice, but not quite as tight and fast as the RF-83s.

The bottom line is that these are definitely speakers I could live with, far superior in almost every way to my CSW Towers, but I suppose I'm preaching to the choir there.

The other news for purposes of this thread is that I played around with using my sub for music quite a bit over the weekend, and I've gone back to my original prohibition of subs with music for my own tastes. There were just all kinds of annoying little problems. The biggest of course being that bass being non-directional is simply nonsense. I think you could put that sub anywhere in my room, blindfold me, and I could tell you where it was within seconds. There were also crossover problems and nasty phase-induced interference problems. I do love the extra extension and I would love to be able to have those lows, but not at the price I think I'd have to pay in terms of sacrifice of accuracy or painstaking tuning. It would be a lot of expensive and frustrating tweaking I'm afraid. I think I'd be happier just to get a reasonably full range speaker and be done with it.

So I think my wife and I have agreed that the Klipschorn, La Scala, and Belle Klipsch are out. The Chorus II and Cornwall are still in play, but she would much prefer the more modern cabinets of the RF series. I've also decided that I would never be able to rest without having at least tried B&Ws and Thiels. My current plan (what, like plan G now?) is to take my time, try to find good buys on things over the course of the next few months, and sample what's available, selling off what doesn't work for me.

Kaiser, I'd still love to hear your La Scalas but at this point I think I'd like to hear your B&Ws even more.

Thanks all for your input and patience!

kd