7ch vs 5ch vs 2ch amplifiers

wsu99999

I've read a lot of information regarding amplifiers in the past few months and I wanted to get some real world information from my friends at the forum. On the topic of multichannel amplifers vs 2 ch amplifiers - what do you prefer?

I'm about to upgrade my system's electronics and I want to go to a nice pre/pro and external amplifiers but I don't know if I should get 3 2channel amplifiers, 1x 3 ch and 1 2 ch, or just a soild 5ch amp. Or if I should go away from SS and get tubes. I think to keep my budget in line, I should stick to some old SS amplifiers, but wanted to ask here first.

Of your experience, do you think a multichannel amplifier can hold it's own against several 2ch amplifiers?

I run LaScalas, Heresy center and Forte II rears. Any suggestions? I'm more than likely not interested in spending over 1500 for the amplification portion of the setup. That would give me 500 per 2ch or 1500 for the whole kit and kaboodle. Let me know the best suggestions you can think of and which route will produce the best results.
Thnks,

Well it would be less then 500 per 2 channel since you still have to get the Pre.

If it is something new that you are looking for I think the only one would be Emotiva. The UMC-1 and the XPA-5 are both $700. The UMC-1 is brand new and should be coming out next month. People have been happy with the previous versions so that saids something.

James

Of your experience, do you think a multichannel amplifier can hold it's own against several 2ch amplifiers?

Yes, but there are extra design concerns that must be addressed when you put multiple amps into the same chassis...so it really hinges on the specific design of the multichannel amp.

In other words, there is nothing inherant to a multichannel amp that will reduce sound quality, but there will be multichannel amps that don't sound as good as a monoblock.

So what specific amps are you looking at?

If you have a decent receiver, I would opt for a good quality 3-channel amp and just run the surrounds off the receiver. I've buried myself in multichannel listening over the last few months and just don't see any reason to add muscle to the surround channels. I would love to go Bryston or Lexicon, but they are just too expensive for me. So, I second the Emotiva recommendation, which is the direction I'm going.

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa3.html

What Mike and Dean said.

One "fringe benefit" with Klipsch is the lack of need for mega-Watt amps to drive them. If you want a new pre-pro, I'd recommend the least expensive one you can be happy with, as there is still too much potential for early obsolescence in that product category for me.

For amplification, I'd personally be looking for a "high-value" amp to match however many channels you plan to run. If you're doing seven channels, and you're thinking pre-owned, Outlaw, NAD, Rotel and Adcom would be at the top of my list. I just like to keep things simple as possible (but not simpler than possible!).

Application.... Example: Man cave? 2 channel, multiple identical high end, vintage 2ch amps, capability of any one, pairs, three, or all 4 pairs, etc. But that's a "2 channel" room and is a special situation. On the other hand (the real world of WAF, family, etc.), the living room with nice HD TV, etc.? 7.1 receiver with a bunch of old retsored Cornwalls, etc. JDM56 is correct, a super modern receiver does not require high power to drive Klipsch speakers and you can mix, match, and otherwise utilize the high sensitivity of the Klipsch speakers to your advantage. Same applied to the master bedroom with my wife's K-horns & LaScalas. Debated multiple vintage 2ch amps, etc. When all was said and done, opted for a 7.1 receiver and she can pick the "listening mode" with the remote. She's happy, the kids are happy and the Klipsch Heritage speakers scattered all over the place are used in particular "applications". While Outlaw, etc are great, don't discard the Onkyo's (which over the years have greatly increased in quality) and some of the others.

Wow, I'm suprised to see so many opting for using a receiver as a preamp. I was always under the impression that wasn't a great idea. If you guys think that's the case, maybe I should get a new HK with 1080p etc for cheap and just go get a nice 3 ch. I didnt think of that option - then again - I want the amplification portion to last. I don't want to buy new amps in 3 years!