Cornscala

CIGARBUM

I have been reading a bunch today about the conseption of the Cornscala. I see where it has been called several things, Cornscala, Cornscala II or a Lilscala, but basically they are a hybrid between the Klipsch Cornwall and LaScala, taking the best parts of each. With that being said, I believe I want to try to build a pair.

What I have noticed from all the material that I have read today (trying to work off dinner) a couple things; (1) there are some real smart people out there who have formulated the ideas and them put them into practial application. (2) there seems to be a lot of opinion from everything from the material used, to the woofers/horns, tweeters and crossovers. (3) As I look at the articles, they are a few years old and I was wondering if there has been any resolution as to what components would be the best. If any of these issues have been resolved and I can get the information, I bet I can build these things.

Why I want to get a good list of components is, I just do not that the technical expertise necessary to try and be able to tell the difference between correct parts (the ones that give the best sound). Is there a general conclusion of what components and methods of construction actuall produce the best sound??

The articles I have read have been written by some familiar names in the forums, don't know the names but the handles; GotHover, Jeff_R, jwcullison, Dean Westcott, Bob Crites, Al Klappenberger, Daddy Dee, and many more, please excuse me for not mentioning your names but there seems to be lot of contributers. So, if any of you guys have any plans, specifications or resolved issues or can point me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated.

As soon as I finish up the last two cigar humidors I would like to get started

Thanks again CB

JC, thanks for the response. I have printed, I believe everything on the internet about the Cornscalas (whole set of print cart.). That's why I asked the question about any resolution to some of the opinions in all the articles. A lot of this stuff is way over my head, but if I know the design and specifications, I can build it. I understand a lot of this is subjective and there is no real correct answer to what woofers - horns - tweeters - crossovers that are used in this project and it's really what you hear between your ears.

I will be picking up my LaScalas tomorrow, they are 1980, so I'm sure the crossovers will need to be refreshed, I already have two pair of Cornwalls and I love the way they sound. Why can't I be satisfed with just then?

Where do you live in this great state?

If you don't mind, I'll contact you for expert advice and guidance.

Thanks again CB

Hey JC, I have been reading alot of threads about the Cornscala since reading CB,s post !

My question is why couldnt you take a La Scala, build a mortarboard for the front of the base bin with ports

and turn the bass driver to the front. Would this not do the same thing ? I have some La Scala's that need some cosmetic upgrades.

This sure would make re-veneering them alot easier !

Thanks, Don

To convert the scala bin, you would have to remove the driver, and take a chainsaw to the innards of the bass bin....such as cutting out the "V" or the flare.

It would take less time to build a "cube" that is the appropriate internal volume and port.

The CS from scratch is easy. You really don't need much wood working skills. If you have a beater scala...then you have all the components such as horns and drivers. You will need a new XO or modify the one you have.

If you have a beater cornwall "1", then you have the right components too except you have to ditch the K600s and get K401s. The Cornwall network will work with the Cornscala. The XO will be at 600Hz but will work and you will notice an immediate improvement.

The above components are the basics for the cornscala. No brainer...cost effective results.

Then there is the upgrade to the basics mentioned above......the builds get more complicated. Altec 511 to my ears is better but takes more work to put in a cabinet for cosmetic approval. Or just plop it on top of a Cornscala or Cornwall cabinet if you think it looks cool...some do. The other upgrade is using a different tweeters or two woofers instead of one..........Cornscala dbb[;)]

jc

Guest David H

I agree with JW, it is far easier to build another cabinet than to butcher the LaScala. The components I used on the top end are the k-55 and an APT 150 tweeter.The crossover I am using is a derivetive of the AA. I got the design from JW, and changed the mid cap to 14uf and stepped the mid and tweeter up on the autoformer because my woofer is 100+db.

I could not be happier with this setup, however if I had a Cornwall with the k-55 I would just use its components with a 400hz mid horn and update the crossover.... Have fun...

Btw, if you need a 400hz Trachorn for your project shoot me a pm, I have been busy the last couple weeks so I havent built any recently.

Guest David H

I have been reading a bunch today about the conseption of the Cornscala. I see where it has been called several things, Cornscala, Cornscala II or a Lilscala,

The Liscala is a miniature Lascala built with Heresy parts. Far cry from the performanceof the Cornscala, but I love them.

post-24405-13819427482376_thumb.jpg

Everyone has been great in providing me with leads on the Cornscalas. Bob Crites sells the entire kit which is great, don't have to run all over ebay looking for parts. jwcullison I believe has the most complete article with the cut sheet, pictures and drawings showing how things are put together. GotHover, thanks for your information. Jeff_R, Albatross, PrestonTom, Sperkerfritz, Daddy Dee, Al Klappenberger, and anyone else I may have forgotten.

I believe I have printed all material pertaining to the Cornscala, if anyone sees something else please let me know. Just have to finish up a couple of my last cigar hunidors, Just need a little extra cash to finance the project.

Will keep all informed of progress.

CB