Sub choices

beemer

Still weaking my sub for optimal results and have gained a lot of useful info from this forum. My ten year old Yamaha sounds better than it ever has (amazing what a pair of 7 inchers can do when hooked up with quality cable and crossovers set properly). HOWEVER, while it is great for giving my music a good bottom end, it simply is not quite there for HT.

Thinking seriously about upgrades and have have narrowed my long list to a short one. Two of the candidates (besides Klipsch KSW12) are either a Boston Acoustics PV600 or PV800. Never seem to see much mention of BA products in these forums - any problems??

Thoughts, comments??

(Please note that my list does not include SVSubs - no local dealer - or Klipsch Reference (love the line but a little too rich for my pocketbook))

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

I have no complaints about my KSW-12. But don't pay dealer cost on one.

cwm28.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Yeah, Doug... and with a 45 day money back guarantee and better customer service than you can get at a local store... plus the scads of savvy SVS owners posting their praises all over the Internet... it was hard not to give them a look. It's a class operation from one end to the other... and Tom Vodhanel (the designer & co-founder) owns Klipsch speakers to boot! As successful as they have become, it's a wonder that Tom finds the time to answer so much email personally... and you don't have to be a customer to get an honest, precise answer.

I wish service and support was as good at my local cwm5.gif dealers! HornEd

=======================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall based

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...

Ok,

Let's say I'm taking the SVS plunge (Model 16-46CS+). Should I opt for the Samson S1000 or try to find a good/reasonably priced stereo amp, like the CROWN D150 available on eBay right now? How much power is required to drive the SVS?

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

This message has been edited by CharlieTuna on 02-05-2002 at 12:34 PM

Some of you have exressed curiosity about my decision to omit SVSubs from my short list. I do believe SV Subs produces a high quality product with excellent customer support (have not seen a bad review yet). My reasons for not considering them have more to do with other factors than the quality of product.

As stated in my profile, I live north of the 49th parallel. I work in a business that ships trans-border enough to know that it is not always an easy task. Paperwork, duties and delays are potential and sometimes all too real (and that was before the events of last fall - it hasn't gotten any easier).

I also value the ability, in the event of problems, to load up my speaker, drive 20 minutes(on a bad traffic day) and have my concerns addressed and/or resolved. In some cases, my local dealers will come right to my home to correct problems or assist in setup. It would also be very difficult for an on-line store or direct shipper to allow me to demo a product in my home, with my own equipment to see if it is right for my environment.

In the defense of on-line stores however, the above reasons are taken with a grain of common sense. If such a store can give me a substantial saving on a similar product, the benefits may well outweigh the hazards. I do not suffer price-gouging from locals lightly (this has never been a problem in my case as my prefered dealers have always treated me well and are very price-competitive).

It would seem by reading some of the previous responses in this thread that I am quite fortunate to have the local dealers I do. This only underlines my reasoning for supporting local dealers that reciprocate with good service and competitive pricing.

The converse is also very true - don't support your local dealers and they may not be there when you do need them. Heaven knows there are few enough audio dealers in my part of the world, let alone good ones. I would like to see the good ones stay around.

(I'll step down off my soapbox now...)

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

This message has been edited by beemer on 02-05-2002 at 08:05 PM

HornEd,

How right...

"As successful as they have become, it's a wonder that Tom finds the time to answer so much email personally... and you don't have to be a customer to get an honest, precise answer."

Damn true,TV answers were fast,even very fast.Even after TheEAR and TV had a subhuman mini war here. Wink.gif

I will buy multiple SVS for sure,I am looking at their SVS SS subs.I have no doubt SVS service is the very best there is,who will take the time to answer questions and likes his job so much as to answer numerous emails? Only SVS and TV.

I will recomend SVS to anyone who wants a high quality,high output TRUE SUB with real sub bass.

SVS has subs for the value priced(SVS CS)marker up to the exotic high end(SVS SS).Their designs work and are proven(I tested two Ultras I borrowed and was very impressed to say the least).

Again SVS deserves to sell alot of subs and grow as a company.

TheEAR(s) Now theears