Computer to Stereo....

SWL

Here's a good one for ya...

Is it possibe to connect my laptop to my stereo? I mean, in my bedroom where I usually use my laptop the stereo is like five feet away. Vintage Marantz 3600 preamp.......I also have a Denon 3805 a/v receiver that I could use.

Why buy computer speakers etc. when my bedroom system is right there?

If it has the latest Intel 1701 HD chipset in it, it's better than most CD players.

Ahhh that's what I want to look for in computer audio I've been thinking I need to investigate that as our old Dell laptop is overdue for replacement. May be able to do it in the next 1 to 4 months and would be better instead of waiting until it dies.

Have been thinking about getting an HP. Currently get a pretty good discount through work on HP.

Years ago we got a really great discount on IBM through work, and not too bad with Dell when I replaced the June 1998 ThinkPad with a Dell +- 4 years ago. We did get a pretty good discount with Dell and maybe still do though I think better now with HP as the company I work for is now owned by HP.

Unfortunately, I don't see any audio options on the HP laptops though Dell usually had at least a couple. I'm sure there are different options avaiable but I havent' seen any sound card options on the HP website so may be limited to what comes with the different models.

I need to pay attention to that as we've 500+ LPs I'd like to digitize someday on the cheap. Even bought an audio CD recorder a few years back but a project still not yet begun and probably will scrap earlier plan to record LP to CD after ready many of Dave's (Mallette's) posts. Sorry Dave, even if I get things recorded lossless, it'll probably be ripped to mp3 for portable use but I like your idea to store in lossless. No real budget but with hard drive space coming down I think it's time to find a nice little multiple drive RAID box and may be able to add more drive capacity as I actually start filling up what we have.

Of course with a new laptop, maybe the Dell could be stripped down software wise and dedicated to music digitizing but has the lowest level of sound card.

Which ever format you use.

Click Radio, pick type of music and they give Lots of Free Radio choices

For Classical I listen to www.kwax.com

Also on the plug. you can get one that fits the jack that has a Y split. then you can run one line for your computer speakers and the other to your Receiver...

I did this with a Three way splitter...............[:o]

Well, I got the hookup and have been checking out some free sites. So far, Slacker sounds pretty good compared to the others.

I compared it to Sirius in my bedroom system......I would have to say Slacker sounds better. I'm gonna try it downstairs on my main system next.

My headphone amp, headamp pico has a USB DAC, and I just connect that to my PC, a lot better then my sound card, and pipe it using the 1/8"mini to RCA to my stereo. Works well.

Specifically, in what way would you say the USB DAC helps the sound? How much $$$?

I'm checking out Pandora right now.......pretty cool. Sounds pretty good.

I like the format.

Hey SWL, How are You?

Heres the ticket That I'm thinking about for my DVD's and music from my computer!

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/

The biggest issue with outboard DAC's from USB connections is Jitter!

They have tackled the problem and came up with a good solution A hard drive is as good as a $10,000 CD Transport or better No Errors!

Very good reading here on USB connections!

http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/preamps.html

SET12

I run a optical(or digital coaxial) from my sound card to my tube DAC then to my preamp. I am going to sell my tube DAC so I will have to figure something else out.

I do not do internet radio just make playlists with hundreds of songs and let it play all day long while I am doing things around the house.