Best Wire to Use

AUKERUSMC

Welcome to the Forum: Depends on the length of the "run", etc. Also check your building codes. In some places any in-wall wire requires CL-3 wire for low voltage in wall speaker wire.

Look at this site re: speaker wire in general and gauge size. http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Many options regarding brand, type and price (ranging from reasonable to outrageous...). Check out www.partsexpress.com for reasonably priced solutions.

Also, Welcome to the forum.

You might want to take a look at MonoPrice for you speaker wire and subwoofer cable, cheap price and good products. www.monoprice.com

You can also get something like this for your rear two channels, http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3640&seq=1&format=2. Then this behind your two speaker, http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3639&seq=1&format=2. They make for a nice clean install.

James

I found some wire on the monoprice website however should i get the oxygen free copper wire is that categorized as CL2 if not is that suitable and good enough to install for speakers?

NO..... I would stick with the one that is labeled CL2 (for in-wall installation) speakers wire from Monoprice.

How long are the runs that you need?

James

The difference between "OHFC" or so called "oxygen free" copper wire has nothing to do with what it will sound like. The so called OFC content has to do with ductile strength in cold forging, etc. The oxygen molecules (the extremely few in the alloys) are deeply embedded in the dendritic crystalline structure, and due to the gross cross sectional area of the wire, the overall impedance of the wire itself, the minimal "skin effect", unless the alloy is less than the types described as C-110, etc alloy, there is no audible difference. Worst case scenario is an increase in impedance which, given the alloy specs, is not detectable by any human ear.....

Wuzzer,

Condolances not needed. I've worked hard to get my system(s) sounding the way I like it. I don't have the budget for $5000 speaker cables but I have tried a pair. Audiophile cables all have their own individual sonic characteristics, some more than others. Even cheap-*** wire has it's own sound. Bottom line is that if zip cord sounds good to you, that's what you should use but I don't consider my system finished until I make the final tune with cable changes.

My klipsch speakers (modest RF-25's) have responded well to cable tuning. Horns can be sharp and I like mine eased off a bit but still have a full and clear top end, the cable changes got me there. My budget is not unlimited but I have spent a modest amount for a significant improvement. It's well worth the money and that's why I often recommend it. For me wire is too important to put in the wall, it's too hard to change.

Thanx, Russ