I need serious help.

runninshine

Hey everyone, yesterday I bought a new Marantz SR5003. This thing should power my HT system very well for now. I have a huge problem, This is the most difficult thing ever to set up. I need help and I refuse to pay someone to hook it up.

Problems

-ps3 to marantz (which cable and where)

-comcast dvr to marantz (which cables and where)

-marantz to tv (which cables and where)

I thought I could just run hdmi from ps3 to marantz hdmi dvd input as well as my comcast dvr into a hdmi slot and from the marantz hdmi output to tv and life would be good.

This has been a nightmare....I need help!

Well, I guess you could start by telling us exactly what the problem is? Are you getting no picture? No sound? Both?

I'm looking at a picture of the back of your unit and it looks pretty self-explanatory as far as where the HDMI ins and outs go.

Ok. I can get sound from ps3 and cable box through sr5003. But in the manual it tells me that I should be able to press a menu button on the unit and it will come up on the tv screen to dial in settings, but im not getting that menu. I dont have some video cable hooked up correctly.

It sounds like you forgot to run your monitor out on your receiver. It goes from your receiver to your tv. If that doesn't help, I say just call Marantz. Do you know any audio heads? I'm constantly helping people hook up equipment or diagnose problems. I'm almost convinced that's what it is though. Monitor out. Don't worry, I'm not charging you [6]

I just looked at the back of it. There is an HDMI output, and a component output for the monitor out. I didn't know how to put the pic of it up on here, but if you go to the website, you'll see what I'm talking about. Make sure you ran either one of those, or you WON'T get the on screen set up menu on yor TV.

Thanks tommyboy! Im getting closer i have audio and picture I just cant adjust all the settings through the tv screen, but I can adjust them through the marantz display screen though. Oh well its coming along.

Too bad I dont know more people in my area who love this stuff the way we do. Im pretty thankful for this forum.

On your manual, page 24 it states:

"This unit incorporates an onscreen menu system,
which makes various operations possible by using
the cursor (3, 4, 1 , 2) and ENTER buttons on the
remote controller or on the front panel.
Note:
• To view the onscreen displays, make certain you
have connected the MONITOR OUT jack on the rear
panel to the composite, S-Video, component video
or HDMI input of your TV or projector. (See page
13, 14)
1. Press the AMP button on the remote controller.
(This step is not needed when operating the
setup menus from the unit.)
2. Press the MENU button on the remote controller
or press the MENU button on the front panel.
The “MAIN MENU” of the OSD menu system is
displayed.
There are 6 items in the MAIN MENU.
3. Select the desired sub-menu with the 3 or 4
cursor buttons and press the ENTER button.
The display will change to the selected submenu.
Notes:
• If you desire to adjust any sub-menu, you need to set
it to UNLOCKED.
• To lock sub-menus, set items 1-6 on the MAIN
MENU to “LOCKED”.
<LOCKING SUBMENUS>
(1) Move the cursor to “1. INPUT SETUP” in the
MAIN MENU.
(2) Select the “0” mark left of “LOCKED” with the 1
or 2 cursor buttons.
4. To exit from OSD menu system, press the
EXITbutton, or move the cursor to EXIT and
press the ENTER button.

To view the onscreen displays, make certain you

13, 14)

-This is the only problem I am having. (above) Im not sure if Im not using the right input on the tv or correct cable. I will try more tonight after work.

• To view the onscreen displays, make certain you
13, 14)

-This is the only problem I am having. (above) Im not sure if Im not using the right input on the tv or correct cable. I will try more tonight after work.

You will need to make sure you switch your TV to the correct input to see the OSD coming from your reciever. For example, if your TV has an HDMI jack labelled "HDMI 1", and that is were you plugged the "MONITOR OUT" from the reciever into, then you will need to make sure your TV is switched to the "HDMI 1" input for display. Refer to your TV's user's guide as to how to switch to the correct input (BTW, which model of TV do you have?).

After fooling with it for a few minutes the other night I was able to pull it up on the tv screen and set everything to my liking.

So last night it was all put to the test with the release of the Dark knight and WOW, I finally have a proper HT set up! I would be willing to take on any local theater.

Thanks for all of you help. THere are a lot of smart people around here.

Thanks! I seem to get plenty of practice in the military with this stuff. It's almost a daily thing for someone to ask me how to hook something up or just audio advice in general. Especially when people re-enlist and get one of those bonus things I seem to know nothing about??? I've never seen one of those [*-)]

Hi Runninshine, too bad I didn't see this thread earlier! I live in Payson, about 40 minutes south of Sandy. I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" but I've hooked up my fair share of avr's in the last couple of years :) If you need anymore help with anything just let me know, I'd be more then happy to make the drive up there. I always enjoy checking out other HT's when I get the chance! Take care.

tonysly, Thanks for the offer! I've got everything working great so far. The only thing I still need to mess with is the microphone thing and dial in my set up that way. Its good to know that the klipsch family is there in time of help.

It would also be nice to hear your set up, those 2 rsw 15's have to hit hard.

Yes, they hit hard- and I never come close to turning them all the way up! They are absolutely awesome with music, and they do a good job with the movies as well, and I use my speakers about 95% for movies and tv. When the wife isn't around I do shake the house with music though! Anyways good luck with your setup! If I ever run into any more great local klipsch deals that I dont need for myself I will let you know about it. Too bad I sold my old 12" klipsch sub a few months back, I would have given it to you for $150. Take care.