i don't understand redbook players that...

Deang

There are a lot of benefits proported to oversampling. I think most of them are bogus. One thing would seem to be defendable, however; if you upsample from 44.1kHz to something much higher, then the digital anti-aliasing filter can have a less sharp cutoff, which might produce less phase shift or ringing in the audible portion of the spectrum.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have tried to get through the hype of upsampling. There is allot.

I think Sam Tellig of Stereophile called it the "magic bullet".

I may beleive in ESP, ETs, many of Steven Hawkings theroys BUT I am not drawn in by magic too easily. The key word is "interpolate".

Definition in regard to math from Webster, " to infer the missing terms in a known series of numbers". I never pretend to be a EE; so I try to keep these things simple.

The DAC upsampling electronics make a 24 bit word(data point or note) from the 16 bit words in a Red Book CD; a translation of sorts with some opportunity for an undefined error percentage. It sounds like an inference is made to create more than the origonal number of new data points(96-44=52khz approx) before conversion to analog takes place.

In academics and engineering studies I have used 5-30 data points to interpolate a only one "manufactured"(magic?) data point. Making something from nothing sounds odd.

Ray is right on a ton of stuff. Something bogus is going on which has the potential to distort the music.

Reducing the ringing or harshness of a CD is definitely a suitable objective. Creating music from nothing seems illogical.

Am on the right track here?

I can't see how taking the same amount of bit information and doubling it would have benefit other than doubling all the artifacts present in the original bit information, Noise, extra harmonics.

I can't understand how oversampling would have anything to do with ringing or harshness, or noise reduction.

Doesn't error correction play a role in this?

I think oversampling stemmed from the first generation DAC's that were noisy, and used oversampling to help filtering?(I'm not sure on this.)

THANX!

I didn't understand it either, but I DO have a 15 year old NEC, yes NEC, cd player that's built like a brick s**t-house. JVC had a similar model. It's got seperate P.S. for analog/digital, fibreoptic cabling for critical signal moving to prevent noise pick-up, magetic sheilding like the Texas Instruments type and has hand trimmed D-A at 18bit and samples at 88.2kHz! Perfect for Japanese bluenote CD's and sounds great, even today, with redbook CD's. Too bad the transport opens erratically otherwise I'd modify it a bit and used it alwys.

Don't give up on that unit, if your vast majority of CD's is redbook then this unit is the best suited.

Then you can get a service manual and maybe fix the door/transport problem.

I dought if you could get a better player today, unless you jump on the SACD bandwagon, or spend over a grand or more.

Sounds like a fun unit to tweak.

THANX!

You know Mike, if I had more time on my hands and hadn't gotten this Dynaco unit I would do a little parts swapping. The problem is I've fixed this thing with the drawer many times before and seen quite a few on ebaY with the same issue. Maybe swapping the transports with another might do it? Then again...there is that Dynaco thing with the 6922's in it. SCHWEEEET!