Klipsch THX ultra 2 or RF 83 system

viggnesh

Guys, please let me know if the sunfire TGR 401 and THX ultra 2 works well together

I'm not sure about the TGR 401 specifically, but Sunfire usually doesn't play too nicely with the Ultra2 Subwoofer (the subwoofer preout has a hard time driving the KA1000 amplifier). However, it'll sound awesome driving the rest of your speakers.

I would recommend inserting another device between the receiver and the KA1000 to boost the subwoofer signal....there's a million directions you could go and some options will gain you more than just boosting the signal (like an EQ to dial down modal peaks, etc...).

Btw, you'll know if you have a problem if you have to turn the volume on the subwoofer up all the way - especially if you have to also boost it in the receiver too. If you're able to get crazy volume, then there's nothing to worry about.

thanks a lot DR.WHO..even i have seen and read in a few forums regarding the sunfire/thx subs issue...i just hope and wish the new sunfire tgr 401 has sorted itout...but if it has not can you please guide me with links on wat to add between the subwoofer amp and the sunfire?? thanks in advance

Your answer is a velodyne sms-1 unit..

I have mine pretty well dialed in.

Make no mistake, I have 1 setting for Music..1 for HDTV and 1 for Blue Ray movies / player. After auto adjusting the EQ in the room... All I am doing now is just turning up or down the volume.. Which is not a hard thing to do at all.

The ultra II specs make the signal pretty hot. So any ultra II pre amp recognises this too. Sunfire uses a signal output that is actually pretty low..(Were talking milliwatts here, but it is a problem!) This is the problem for the Ultra II KA 1000 amp.

Note if you get a ultra II pre amp, you do not need this at all. The Sunfire is not. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What your looking to do is boost the signal, just a bit.. a simple but clean mixer will do this.. That is the simple solution to your problem..

What the SMS 1 unit does in addition to boosting the signal is it also does a fine job of EQing of the room for your subs. This REALLY maximises the subs.

You notice I have Sunfire too. I will look forward to your review of the 401 too. Sunfire is a great match with Klipsch!

http://velodyne.com/products/product.aspx?ID=15&sid=672c915l

Prod_detail_SMS_remote_mic_.jpg

SMS-1
prodLineSep.jpg

Face it? bass is tough to get right in most listening environments
because of the relationship between your subwoofer and the room it's
placed in. Now you don't have to worry about it. The SMS-1, featuring
Velodyne's revolutionary Digital Drive room correction software,
provides all the tools you'll need to adapt ANY subwoofer to the
anomalies of your room. With all the features of Digital Drive,
including full DSP control, an on-screen display and 8-band digital
parametric equalizer, you can see your subwoofer and room's unique
characteristics on your TV and adjust the sub's performance
accordingly. Presets enable you to tailor the bass to your listening
tastes and source material. The SMS-1 won't turn your subwoofer into a
Digital Drive sub, but it will get the best possible performance out of
it. The SMS-1 comes in a slim, one unit high configuration.

Features

• Automatic or Manual In-Room Bass Correction with Included Microphone
  • Full DSP Control
  • Customizable Listening Mode Factory Presets
  • Full Feature Remote Control
  • Works with ANY Subwoofer
  • 8-band Digital Graphic/Parametric Equalizer
  • On-Screen Display

• Klipsch Employees

V,

Welcome to the Klipsch family.

You will find that the THXU2 system will do a fine job on the stereo side as well as the movie side. The Ultra 2 ratting suggest that the speaker does as good a job on muliti channel and two channel media.

I have never used a home sub that is better than the THXU2 sub system. I even use them in Pro apps'.

Are you on 230V system or a 120V system over there?

If you are 230V, make sure you get that version of the amp.

Also, be sure that the dealer is a true Klipsch dealer and not a "gray goods" market.

To have a warranty, the dealer must be one of ours.

Enjoy!

thanks guys for ur guidance..

TREY: i buy all my klipsch speakers from the audio people, chennai and albishara intl.. dubai...they are authorised dealers and am good..i got the 230v amplifier...as i had posted earlier i almost purchased a RF 83 package but at the last moment decided to go with THX ultra package...hope i made the right decision......i have been listening to them for the past four years....and i kinda obsessed with the powers of the subs...but i listened to them with sunfire combo and it sounded great.....

i am still waiting for my sunfire TGR401 and hopefully things should be awesome with the subs...i will post my review shortly..

indy:

suppose the LFE signal is weak, do i have any alternative to the velodyne unit....it is very tough to find one in india and if i import from the US the customs will charge me heavily....

thanks

true..

I would verify that you've got an impedance matching problem first before deciding on extra electronics to drive the amplifier harder. It's quite possible that Sunfire has made changes to their line?

Wait n see. You will know if you have enough bass or not, trust me!

thanks guys..am still waiting for the sunfire...once it comes i will check and post back..also i have a few doubts regarding screen selection...Acoustically transperant VS normal...will the perofrated screen picture quality be inferior to normal ones?