K-Horns 1st Impression, Jubilees 2nd 1st Impression

kfoss99

• Moderators

"But honey really, they snuggle right into the corners and disappear"

With that shape they don't really fit into a corner very well at all, but they do sound huge.

They do take up about as much space as a pair of Khorns with 3 or 4 cornwalls in front .[:|]

I like your little shop system Party!!!, here is somewhat better looking version. I don't know who's it is, I got the pic from Marvel.

As pretty as MCM as you could find.

I last heard a pair 30 years ago. Pretty impressive as I recall but I listen to things allot different at 18 than I do at 48.

• Moderators

I have never heard the full set like Greg's, I have only heard the bass bins. The closest to the whole setup I have heard (and it's not that close) is in my workshop MWM bins with K401 horns and Bobs CT125 tweeters and AA crossovers.

Everyone seems to wish the K402 was smaller..........but I need it to be a little bigger. [:D]

Seriously.......I had asked what the original poster in this thread thought of the low end extension of all the bass cabinets. I have had the opportunity to do the same type of comparisons both in my home and at other places. Here are my impressions.

Khorn and Jub........almost a toss up in which plays lower. I always thought the Khorn did but it doesn't send the bass directly at you and so it is not an apples to apples comparison and at times sounded like it played lower to me. The Jub is more authoratative in every other category and is just about equal in low end extension.

Jub and MWM.......The Jub definitely plays lower. The MWM has a bigger sound in the upper bass but the Jub has the low end extension.

Lascala.......I have developed a new respect for this speaker. In my opinion it is a mini-Jub. For those who have not heard the Jub, listen to the lascala, and double or triple the bass output.........and extend it down into the low 30s. That's the Jub. Very similar sound otherwise. I won't ever sell my Lascalas.

those mcms apeal to my pro audio back ground.

Those would make a sweet HT setup.

I think that if I had a huge room...and could fit the center behind an accousticaly transparent screen then all the rest of them behind grill cloth panels built into the walls my wife would approve.

she thinks my KG 4.2s are to big.

• 1 month later...

I don't know why more people don't just build large screen panels covered in grill cloth( that can even be painted the same color of the walls )so that there is no speaker to be seen at all. It would allow alot more people to have large horn enclosures hidden to greatly enhance the WAF factor(for those whose wives seem to be allowed to make the decisions in the household).[8-)]

• Moderators

There is a member here who has 7 industrial LaScalas plus 2 subs and other speakers hiding just as you described, It's IndyKlipschFan. He has a very nice room, you can not see the speakers but the sound is unbelievable.

Jub and MWM.......The Jub definitely plays lower. The MWM has a bigger sound in the upper bass but the Jub has the low end extension.

Did you say that right? The Jub plays lower? Last time I looked at the measurements the MWM plays "lower"...something like 8dB extra output at 40Hz where both speakers start dropping off at about the same rate. It's a longer horn...

I haven't read about anyone cancelling out that huge peak on the MWM when you stuff it into a room....I bet taking it down some would give the impression of deeper bass extension.

I said it right. In my room the Jub measured better and sounded lower too. But I will say that since I posted this info JC and I made some changes in my system and with the EQ and my MWM response is much better now. I posted curves of my MWMs in the "funk" thread and you can see they get down in the 30s very well.