Lascala bass reflex mod vs cornscala

Normo

I've been reading alot ( alway a dangerous thing) and love the mid and treble on my lascalas. That being said I have read about cornscalas and thought that they would sound great with all the pluses of the lascala and the deeper bass of the cornwall. Then I came across the bass reflex mod for the lascala. It certainly is a much easier ( and cheaper ) build and reversible as well. How does the bass on the reflex mod ( the ported base you add to the lascala cab) compare with the bass extension and quality of the cornscala. Any tradeofffs? Any downsides. Thanks for any feedback. Norm

Guest David H

The down side of of using the Cornscala is that you lose 3+db sensitivity over the LaScala, and have to modify the crossover to accomodate for the loss. I have not yet heard the Bass Reflex La Scala, but a freind of mine wants to try the mod on his Lascala's.

I wonder if any crossover changes should be made when doing this mod.

I wonder if any crossover changes should be made when doing this mod.

Stock crossover, no changes required. To make the best of it, a filter goes at the input of the amp. I don't have the details right at hand, or I would post them.

Since I have posted so much about DJK's mod, I should really try it on my LS, but I am pretty happy with the repsonse as is. My amps and my room...YMMV.

Bruce

• 1 year later...

If this makes sense, the bass sounds like a cross of the two, the deep bass of the Cornwall, with the slam of the LaScala.

I originally came up with the riser base idea to try the mod without altering the stock cabinet, but most people like the extra height of the mids and HF.

If you do the add-on riser base idea, for best results make sure it is air-tight and solid.

I' m planing to build tall cornscala, but I'm wondering if I loose much of the good sound not deciding to make LaScala.

I haven't heard a pair of Cornscala's but I have a set of Altec Model 19's for comparison to my LS with the added bass reflex enclosure. I would say that the bass is tighter & more defined....cleaner, if you will. The horn loading seems to give a tighter more punchy sound...I guess it depends what your preference is. The mids & tops should be pretty much the same from a LS to a Cornscala as they use the same components. I would recommend you use the Tractrix horns & the ALK universals if you're going to put something together from scratch, as they are a huge improvement from stock.

Here's a pic of my bass reflex extension & yes, you can just put it back to stock if you ever want to. The cabinets just sit on top of each other with sealing tape to seal the two enclosures together.

I haven't done any measurements but with this mod my LS easily keep up with the Altecs & they go down comfortably to 30Hz.

Enjoy!!

post-32839-13819539472452_thumb.jpg

post-32839-13819554996926_thumb.jpg

post-32839-13819567821676_thumb.jpg