Movie night with the family

Youthman

• Moderators

The wife and kids just stepped out for awhile so I decided to revisit Kung Fu Panda. I jumped to the scene where Tai Lung Escapes because I was really impressed with the sound effects in that scene the other night. Since I'm home alone, I decided to crank it up a bit. I turned the Yammie to -16 and sat back. Oh my goodness! What a great scene to use as a demo. Lots of LFE, rear effects. The RF-83's really shine at higher volumes. Can't wait to get a separate amp to drive them.

Again - excellent pics and very nice all round

I turned the Yammie to -16 and sat back. Oh my goodness!

Gees... -16db your house foundations would of been rockin. I thought I heard some earth movement here in Australia - it must of been you and your -16db [:D]

Truly that would of sounded unbelievable.. good job and enjoy.

Kung Fu Panda - great movie..

If I can offer up any advice.,.. Whatever you do up front make it black and less to look at is better. All that wood... K.I.S.S.///LOL

I used black scrim to hide 2 TV's and all of the up front speakers... When the lights are dimmed all you get is the front screen to look at and the wall just dissapears but it "breathes" the soundtrack at you.... It is amazing!

BTW, we share the same style doors.. color of red too, and black ceilings....Looking good!

Obvviously, the lights are up for this shot, but you get the idea... Colterphoto1 did a great job with this pic!

post-5910-1381943599417_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If I can offer up any advice.,.. Whatever you do up front make it black and less to look at is better. All that wood... K.I.S.S.///LOL

What about doing black trim instead of cherry wood color that I originally had in mind?

Your theater room is sweet and I welcome your advice.

What about doing black trim instead of cherry wood color that I originally had in mind?

Your theater room is sweet and I welcome your advice.

THANKS!!

Yes, on the black trim, and more cloth so you have a
more balanced look. (Bigger frames) Put the frame wood in flat black as
well.

It's the little things that matter too. Dress up the sides.... with curtains to absorb reflections...it helps.

• Moderators

Youthman, Indy knows what he is talking about his theater is perfect, I can say that because I have been there ! [*][*][*]

Indy said " I used black scrim to hide 2 TV's and all of the up front speakers... When the lights are dimmed all you get is the front screen to look at and the wall just dissapears but it "breathes" the soundtrack at you.... It is amazing! "

" " breathes" the soundtrack " Is a huge understatement, you are there and it's real is a little closer to the truth !

He did a great job with it, no [bs] !

Wow those look so awesome!! Youthman, are you planning on eventually turning your rears so they are more parallel with the sides of the room? That is, they would be facing the chairs from the sides rather than the rear. That's how I was thinking of placing mine; just wondering if that sounded like a good way to do it.

• Moderators

Youthman, are you planning on eventually turning your rears so they are more parallel with the sides of the room? That is, they would be facing the chairs from the sides rather than the rear. That's how I was thinking of placing mine; just wondering if that sounded like a good way to do it.

It depends on if I go with a 5.1 or 7.1 system. If I stay with a 5.1, I will mount the RB-35's on the back wall facing towards the rear of the seats. Direct firing surrounds should be mounted this way. I will likely add a pair of RS-62's to the sides to make it a 7.1 system. A few years ago, I had a 5.1 Polk Audio system. My surrounds were Bipole/Dipole (had a switch on the speaker) that I mounted on the side walls like you are talking about. I loved it. It really enveloped me and helped suck you into the movie.

Where are you located in Central Florida?

Hmm, I totally messed up then. I shouldn't have bought the RB-35's and instead should've bought some RS-42's or RS-52's, and kept my RB-5's as fronts. I guess now my only choice is to try to sell the RB-5's and pick up some dipoles after that, because I don't have room behind my couch to put speakers without having the couch practically in the middle of the living room! [^o)]

I'm in Winter Garden; we're practically neighbors. [:D]

• Moderators

Have you tried temporarily placing your RB-5's on the sides? I would try it first. If it sounds good to you, then go for it. You would want to place them slightly behind your couch on the sides. You could angle them slightly towards the couch.

Nezff has a pair of RS-42's that he's selling. You might check with him.

Good luck neighbor.

I haven't got anything hooked up yet: I'm still stressing over which speaker cable to buy and how much of it (since I'm not sure whether I'm going to buy a wire fish and try running the wire under the carpet, or what.)

I've been looking at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002CNTUE/?tag=wwwspectackle-20 as a possibility; I know 250' is way overkill but I'd rather have too much than too little. And if I run it along the baseboard and up around the front door frame all the way over to the other side of the room I'll need more than 100'. Of course if I do that, I'll need CL2 or CL3 and not this stuff.

Thanks again for your input!

• Moderators

Direct firing or not.... the proper spot for surrounds is slightly above & behind the listening area. I would think the back wall would be used for 7.1 "rear" surrounds. In 5.1 the surrounds go to the sides. Yes

That is correct. That would be the ideal situation but we do not always live in an ideal world. The best solution would be to get the RS and place them on the sides since he does not have a back wall. The other was a suggestion as an alternative.

As far as speaker wire, take a look here and save yourself a lot of money and still get a high quality cable.