Digital Camera

SilverSport

I also miss a cable release. On my D50, they offer a remote device, but it only works IN FRONT of the camera!

Same for me. I learned to use tripod and the self timer set to 2 secs. you're not going to use cable on action shots anyway so you can usually set the timer to a sensible interval. There is no camera shake whatsoever when doing this.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you already have Nikkor lenses, then a Nikon digital body seems like a logical step. Picked up a D70 when they first came out and am very happy with it. Can do anything from simple snapshots to full on 11x17 magazine cover photos. I suspect anything from the D60-D90 would make you very happy.

If you already have Nikkor lenses, then a Nikon digital body seems like a logical step. ..... I suspect anything from the D60-D90 would make you very happy.

But don't get the Nikon D40; it's the first Nikon camera in 40 years that won't take all the old (and some current) Nikon lenses.

On another note, I like, with limitations, Ken Rockwell's site (www.kenrockwell.com), as he tries out all sorts of cameras, both Nikon and Canon, DSLR and point-and-shoot. Also he provides easily-digestible articles on photographer skill development, which accounts for far more of the photo's outcome than brand of camera.

.3" live view (no mirror so no delay) arrrrgggh

so the 'live view' means no viewfinder? Great, now you have to hold the camera in the most unstable position ever, out at arms length, to compose your photos. MISTAKE! The bigger the lens, the more you need to brace yourself properly to take a good photo. Besides, ever try to view one of those view screens in bright sunlight? To say nothing of the batteries they will consume. Let's see, the battery has to power the computer, flash, and the view screen for every second you're trying to compose a picture as well as every time you want to view something?

Yeah, Panasonic has always been a big name in the photo arena.

No thanks.

[rant mode off]

Michael

Panasonic actually manufactures all of Leica's digital cameras
incuding I believe the M8 which is their top of the line digital
rangefinder. ( around $5Gs for the body! ) Many cameras in the
Panasonic point and shoot line are the identical camera as ones under
the Leica brand. For my point and shoot digital, I have a Panasonic
DMC-1which s the same camera as a Leica D-Lux2. I am doing the numbers
from memory but I think they are right. That being said you are 100%
correct regarding the need for a viewfinder. Neither the DMC-1, or the
Leica has one and its a problem with the design. The DMC -1 is an
older design and I believe that panasonic now provides a rangefinder on
all of the higher end point and shoots.

In regards to the D SLR
discussion...I bought the Canon 40D. I chose canon mostly because I had
a couple high quality Canon L lense. Seemed like a toss up between the
Nikon and the Canon in the same price range.

Josh

I was looking for an "upgrade" to my eight year old 3 Mp Olympus.

I was quite disappointed with the build quality of the "point and shoot" cameras, even the Nikon D40x, etc.

I ended up buying a Fujifilm S100FS. This camera is a great "crossover" between point and shoot and DSLR. This is full -sized camera with a rather hefty weight of 32 ounces. Build quality is similar to DSLR's.

While the lens is not interchangeable, the camera has a 14.3 x optical zoom with dual image stabilization.

If the size and weight don't scare you off, I'd highly recommend looking into this one.

(Ballpark price is $500.)

If you already have Nikkor lenses, then a Nikon digital body seems like a logical step. ..... I suspect anything from the D60-D90 would make you very happy.

But don't get the Nikon D40; it's the first Nikon camera in 40 years that won't take all the old (and some current) Nikon lenses.

On another note, I like, with limitations, Ken Rockwell's site (www.kenrockwell.com), as he tries out all sorts of cameras, both Nikon and Canon, DSLR and point-and-shoot. Also he provides easily-digestible articles on photographer skill development, which accounts for far more of the photo's outcome than brand of camera.

This is the site I use for all my Nikon/Nikkor information. http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

well the Nikkor lenses I already own do not translate to the D40 or D60...they will somewhat to the D80 and D90...but I already ordered the Panasonic G1...

joshnich...(I assume this is the model you were refering to) as for the Panasonic Lumix L1...well, although recently discontinued (but still manufactured as the Leica Digilux 3) that alure of the Leica glass and the "rangefinder- old school" look coupled with some VERY attractive prices caused me to pick one of those up too...yiiikes...thanks all for the feedback...

Bill