Horns/Drivers/etc for DIY KHorns

pestilent

Unless stated otherwise, compression drivers are rated +/-10dB. Sometimes they give you a frequency response plot, sometimes they don't. If they do, it's on a certain horn, and sometimes they tell you what it is and sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's on a plane wave tube, and sometimes it isn't, and you get to guess. Mostly you get to guess, and unless you have what you'd like to use on hand, and a way to measure it -- you're pretty much just flying by the seat of your pants.

nat

Honestly, my only real criteria is how easy it is to obtain new and how solid of a replacement it is. Right now I am just mapping the project out to get an idea of the direction I want to go. Once I have it mapped out a bit I am going to start on construction. Purchasing won't happen until I am most of the way done with the cabinet.

I have head good things about the D250x ( and the $31 price tag is defintely a plus) with an in-line 10w resistor. Also, Bob Crites is listing the Atlas PD-5VH on his site as a direct K55v/x replacement but on paper the D250x seems like a much better option. Has anyone heard Ks with either of these in them?

I built DIY clones 25 years ago and last year decided it was time to update. I am using the Atlas PD-5VH driving ALK's trachorn along with the Beyma CP25 and Bob Crites heavier woofer and the ALK universal.crossover network. I am very pleased with the results. The drivers, electronics, and horns seem well matched to me.

Right now I think that's pretty much the route I am going to take. I'm leaning towards the Bob Crites CT125 instead of the Beyma CP25 (anyone seen both in action ?) at the moment. Also, the plan right now is to build my own trachorns (did the cals and blueprints last weekend), but we will see if i stick to that plan.

Glad to hear you're happy with the results, that give me a lot more confidence in my choices.

-Justin

it boils down to 6 of one or half a dozen of the other....really

if you use a k-55/ph5hv (250+ a pair new), you might as many, have to use a notch filter to introduce an intended rolloff at the upper operating band of the driver

if you use a D250x (65 a pair new), you won't need the notch filter, but will either have to play with the taps or use resistors, etc

keep in mind that niether is the end of the journey and a lot of folks go beyond and use other drivers

it's more of an art than a science, you might like the less expensive route, while others may not

I will go ahead and show the K-55V with the dual phase plug to show what a remarkable difference that phase plug makes. This is tested exactly the same as the K-55V with single piece phase plug shown above and on the same K-400 horn.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819436891692_thumb.jpg

"Here is the D250-X on a K-400 horn." defintiely would not require a P-trap.....it has a rolloff that some might prefer

As far as the k-55 on the k-400....it's pretty much flat past the range of the k-400 and this forum is flooded with mods to smooth out ot tone down the higher range of the k55/k-400 combo....everything from p-traps, autoformer adustments..etc.

Good thing about the D250-x, if you don't like how it sounds...you can send it back under return policy...

A little bit of feedback on a few replacement components for the Khorn.

http://www.dcchomes.com/Mkhorn6.html

Greg

Greg,

Really appreciate reading all the first hand feedback. It's definitely incredibly helpful at this stage.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you're using the ALK universal network in your home khorns now. Out of curiosity, what was your impression of them vs the ES and A crossovers?

-Justin

A little bit of feedback on a few replacement components for the Khorn.

http://www.dcchomes.com/Mkhorn6.html

Greg

Greg,

Really appreciate reading all the first hand feedback. It's definitely incredibly helpful at this stage.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you're using the ALK universal network in your home khorns now. Out of curiosity, what was your impression of them vs the ES and A crossovers?

-Justin

I've always liked the A crossover better than the AA, but I also find both the A and the AA to be brighter in the midrange, or more midrange-forward than the ALK Universal. The Universal offers the ability to attenuate the midrange, but even when using them in the "normal" midrange setting, they sound much smoother to me than either the A or AA. BTW, I was comparing to new Bob Crites A/AA crossovers.

I only had the opportunity to use the ES networks one time, for about a week or so, in modified Khorns in my living room (The MKhorns). I personally would not spend the extra money for the ES networks over the Universals.

Greg

• 2 months later...

So now that I have a good idea of the components my next question is what Amps do people find work best with the KHorns? Lately, I have been looking at the Margules Arch-1.2, but I'm not entirely sure it is what I am looking for. It has jsut about everything I want (Triode, Tubes etc), but I'm not entirely convinced a hybrid is the way to go and I am also unsure I want to go with a strictly stereo amp. What's everyone using? What's out there?

Thanks in advance...

-Justin