Isolation feet

greg928gts

Beats me. They kinda look like burned waffles with nougat in the middle. Mmm!

now you're making me hungry - good thing lunch is in the oven

I also use handballs siliconed to rubber furniture cups under a sandstone slab (on which sits the turntable and foam pads). Kinda like wearing a belt with suspenders.

That sounds a lot simpler than building a wooden base to hold a bunch of raquet ball or tennis balls or handballs or even hollow child's play balls. My Dual CS 5000 is very sensitive to even walking on the floor a little too close to the cabinet it sits upon. Would have a cool audiophile geekiness look to it. Now where to get a nice stone slab? Cheap? Maybe some scraps from a countertop company?....

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the turntable motor noise I hear (through the system), specifically in regard to plinth design. In other words, I want to build a plinth (for my TD-124) that incorporates some type of sound damping. Trouble is, I don't know how all this works. Can vibrations be "bled off" the turntable body, so that they don't end up being picked up by the stylus? I will be doing everything I can to isolate the motor from the chassis.

I have no idea really and don't know much aout TD-124s so keep that in mind...

Maybe make some Dynamat washers or something if it's vibration from the motor?

Or some neopreen washers.

I suspect it'd have to be something thin so as not to change the alignment of things or something.

Maybe make some washers out of silicone or just carefully apply a small amount though that would seem to be too hard to undo.

Is it possible that the existing rubber washers, grommets and the like would be a little too dry and need replacing but still appear in good shap. Or even the idler wheel but you did say noise from the motor.

For others that are pretty much clueless about the TD-124 here's what looks to be some very good and usefull information: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/td124page.html Fini probably could write this but looks interesting to me.

Edit: Here's a company that will restore one's TD-124 motor for only $590 shipping not included. $990 to also restore / update the chassis. http://octaveaudio-usa.com/products/motorRestoration/ They blame the original E 50 motor bearing to be the limiting factor and poorly mounted TD-124 motors to create a rumble type sound.

Keep us posted. Interesting stuff.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how so these compare to the foam pads?

OK, I did a little googling and found this PDF.

So you'd recommend an A/C pad under one's turntable? Have to keep this in mind if I need to replace the pad under my A/C unit. Might also work well to lessen the noise of our above ground pool filter which currently just sits on a few flat concreate blocks - the 2" thick solid ones.

Keep us posted. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, I know about all that stuff. There are conversion kits that allow you to use double the isolation grommets (for $125-190!) for which I may eventually bite the bullet, but right now I'm trying to figure out this vibration damping thing. Maybe some type of record clamp/weight would "absorb" some vibes? Maybe an engineer or scientist will chime in...

You're eliminating your components from resonating from underneath by placing insulation devices on their bottoms insulating them from their excited shelf, but then how do you stop these same components from also being resonated from the bass that comes directly to them from the drivers and not from underneath? It doesn't take much volume from my speakers to resonate everything in my room to some level from the energy released from the drivers direct to them.

I thought I was wacked about some of this stuff. LMAO, The article was interesting, but I'm not going to go out and buy expensive cones or wood, I'm just going to keep adding speakers and more equipment in search of the holy grail. This audio stuff is truely a sickness.

Pete

Guest David H

This audio stuff is truely a sickness.

Yeah, and some of the mods might appear a little fishy.....I will let you know when I have tried them all. until then I will take it under advisement. [:D]

I have tried a few isolation mods and haven't found anything I was thouroughly impressed with. Then again I rarely listen to cd's, and my Itunes remote server I dont believe is going to be influenced by the same issues as a cdp transport.

I have a love / hate relationship with threads like this: mostly because I can't fathom the idea - where this thread started - that elevating cables off the floor reveal dramtic audible impact on the sound of a system. However, isolating the gear itself is a different matter.

In my system, with a Rotel RB-1092 amp with the B&O ICE Power module, using isolation/vibration damping did seem to have an audible impact. This is the nicest sounding amp I've ever owned. I got some Ginko Mini Clouds and set them under the amp. Seems to tighten up the bass quite a bit, and the amp already had ample, tight bass to my ear.

I've been wanting to replace the stock feet under my turntable, a Technics 1210 M5G, for a while now. I happened to come across some adjustable spring-loaded footers that I thought I had long lost. Radio Shack made them, and Audio Technica made some that were very similar (the RS and AT versions may have rolled off the same assembly line). I unscrewed the stock Technics feet and slid these underneath. They're adjustable, making leveling a breeze. With the stock feet gone, the table now has a clarity and extension in the frequency extremes that I've been missing, attributing the less than ideal sound to my crappy listening room.

I think the RS feet were $19.95 at Radio Shack back in the late '70's when I bought them, and the Ginko Clouds were on sale for $40. Can't beat it!

but I'm not going to go out and buy expensive cones or wood

If you read the whole article, you'll note that the author isn't suggesting you have to do this.

I'm just going to keep adding speakers and more equipment in search of the holy grail.

Yeah, been there done that and will continue! But someday you'll run across a deal on some cones, or come up with something on your own, or you'll discover some other minor tweak or mod that will really make a difference in your system, and you'll think the same thing I did, that it just can't be!

I'm not buying the $20 cable elevators either. But I might try home-made foam blocks someday, but I doubt it will make a difference.

Greg