XO for Cornwall II's / suggestions?

JSP

I have a very nice pair of Cornwall II's that are all orginal, I am thinking that I may want to build new xo's for them, would any one knowledegable on the design question like to suggest a proper design?

1. Should I simply replace to caps with new of the same value? If so, what type (oil,foil, etc?) and brands?

2. Should I build new from scrach (my first thought), if so a schematic or design plan is what I need.

I have built xo's before and it is within my scope of ability, just need a proven plan the works well for the Cornwall II. BTW, they still sound great, the only mod I have done is to put some damping matterial on the exterior of the horns, (reduced ringing at high volume) and refinish the cabinets with watco and tunge oil.

JSP

I would love to see someone develop an Extreme Slope Network for the Cornwall II's. I have always wanted to build Al K's design for my Cornwall I's, but I just do not listen to them as much as I listen to my Cornwall II's. Cornwall II ESN is something I would be very interested in.

Jeremy

There is a very small demand for high dollar networks for the Cornwall of any type. When I was Al's licensed builder for the Cornwall ALK, I only built one or two pair a year, and six pair total.

The B3 network attenuates the tweeter (K-77), the Cornwall II network doesn't (K-79). IOW's, it's the wrong network for the Cornwall II.

There's nothing "wrong" with the design of the stock filter, but the caps are nasty. I suggest simply replacing the 68uF with a Solen, and the 3uF and 1.5uF values with Auricaps.

There's nothing "wrong" with the design of the stock filter, but the caps are nasty. I suggest simply replacing the 68uF with a Solen, and the 3uF and 1.5uF values with Auricaps.

Dean, do you know if that can be done on the PCB or do you need to build a bread board to fit a 68uF Solen in there? Thanx,

Jeremy