sub has very little power

jwatson364

first off---its my fault for stepping outside the family....i went with the boston acustics hps 12ho on sale for $210.00 at onecall last week....

i have it hooked up to my denon 1508 via subout rca jack to the lfe plug in the sub.....

problem is this sub has very little power and bass.... all the reviews i read said this sub kicked butt and shook the walls, but its really crappy thus far compared to the klipsch sub12 i used to own.....

im hoping im not hooking it up properly, but it only has the rca's and no speaker plugs for it, and i think i got my denon hooked up properly, but idk, its really a complicated reciever.....

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

how do i do that?

An SPL meter is a must for setting up your HT. Get a meter from Radio Shack (50.00 approx) and a disc like Avia. The disc is very user friendly and will walk you through calibration. What you are basically trying to accomplish is to get the sound level from each of your speakers and your sub to be the same. It's not something you'll use once and stick in a drawer. Anytime you change or move anything in your system you should recalibrate.

It is also possible that the Klipsch sub had more output.

I might soon, have access to a sub--10 in the event something like that might float your boat.

It's coming from an estate. I don't know what she's going to be wanting for it, I said I figured a high price might be $100 and a low price might be $50.

Anyone know if that's in the ballpark?

She IS going to get rid of it, just a matter of how/where

I think you need to figure out your receiver first. It will have subwoofer crossover levels and output levels that will need to be adjusted. 80Hz is the recommended setting for a subwoofer's crossver.

You shouldn't have the input gain at full blast on your sub, usually around the 10 or 11 o'clock position.