Ventilation Fans

CIGARBUM

In reading my operators manual for my MC275 I noticed one part under the installation section. " Adequate ventilation extends the troublefree life of electronic instruments. It is generally found that each 10 degrees centigrade rise in temperature reduces the life of ecectrical insulation by one half."

Would it be recommended that you install one or two small computer fans to facilitate the cooling of the amp? From the pictures, I have decent space around the amp.

Your comments please.

post-32367-13819436874428_thumb.jpg

Personal opinion, no fan needed in this setup. If you were to employ fan(s) it would have to be blowing across the amp instead of being used to exhaust (thought I was gonna use that other word, didn't ya?) as you don't have any plenum to create the low pressure area.

the only comments I have concerns heat from the amp rising to the pre-amp, which could be avoided if you put the amp on top and the pre-amp on the bottom.

nothing a good layer of heat absorbing kryptonite wouldn't cure :). May have to create a space, if you swapped with pre-amp you'd be toasting the CD player. Seriously, if you could create a non-intrusive heat collection tray under the pre-amp and then duct the forementioned fan drawing ambient air from the room across collected hot air and exhausting it away.

CB, take a good puff of the cigar and imagine this: take a metal dust pan, turn it upside down and mount below your pre-amp. Now take some ducting and attach to the dust pan handle (it's hollow), run the ducting to some place where the noise will not bother you and attach duct to wooden box where exhaust fan is mounted. This will pull away the hot air collected under the preamp.

Now your job is to find something to replace the "dust pan" with. Remember converging/diverging ducts as related to pressure and velocity.

Just don't waste one of your humidors!

CB, take a good puff of the cigar and imagine this: take a metal dust pan, turn it upside down and mount below your pre-amp. Now take some ducting and attach to the dust pan handle (it's hollow), run the ducting to some place where the noise will not bother you and attach duct to wooden box where exhaust fan is mounted. This will pull away the hot air collected under the preamp.

Now your job is to find something to replace the "dust pan" with. Remember converging/diverging ducts as related to pressure and velocity.

Very creative idea!

Very creative idea!

Not to mention having it hidden from the wife. I like that part.

[Y]

There are some extremely quiet exhaust fans out there. I use a 5" on my tube amp (and the ss amps) to keep it around 110-115 degrees (on the top casing area opposite the 6L6GC output tubes). The ones I use have variable speeds and the vendor from whom I obtain the fans is very reliable and helpful. Give this guy an email and maybe he can help you. drmckenzie1@sbcglobal.net