really frustrated, would like some help.

Kyler Cavers

Sorry, I'm with tigerwoodshorns, 2 channel rules! Sorry I can't help with your decoding issues but I did get a Pioneer DVD player from a buddy for that very reason. Too many formats, too many cable connection types for me.

Thanx, Russ

I prefer silent movies. Heck its pure crap that we can even play this 2 channel "recorded fecal matter" in our homes rather then just going to a location that plays "live" music.

I have yet to really test the sound a/b like.

If you're playing a Blu-Ray disc on your PS3 through HDMI and want to listen to the regular Dolby Digital and/or DTS that's recorded on the disc all you have to do is hit the triangle button on the remote and go to the selection called "Audio Selection" I think. It will cycle through all the audio formats that are encoded on the disc. That way you can do your own instant A/B/C/etc. comparison of lossless verses compressed audio.

Kyle

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I was under the same impression that all HDMI formats carry a video and audio signal with one cable, however this is not the case.

There is actually 3 different types of HDMI.

1. HDMI "pass through".This allows the receiver to accept HD video via HDMI, but requires a separate audio connection. ie. digital optical.

2. HDMI "audio support". This allows the receiver to accept both Video and Audio via single HDMI cable. Usually found on receivers with advanced surround sound capabilities.

3. HDMI "upconversion". Same as the audio support with the advantage of having all your analog connections (s-video, component, rca) to be "upconverted" to HDMI.

Sounds as if your older receiver is HDMI pass through. So your best bet is to run HDMI out of your PS3 into your TV for video and run a digital fiber optic cable out of the PS3 into your receiver for your audio. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jacksonbart,

I live in the modern age, I hardly ever wear my "back to mono" button anymore!

Thanx, Russ

However, I did resist quad and I'd rather have 2 really great channels than 7 good ones.......... I do have a budget to live within. 7 channels of 20.1 Maggies get a little expensive!

This might help answer you question about how much better it sounds. We watched Pirates 3 on both DVD, and BD when we first got our player. (did a direct comparison) BD seems to utilize the surrounds when it SHOULD. For example, the first scene (not sure the number) with rain, on DVD the rain only came out of the front soundstage. But on BD, it came out of all 5 speakers. As it should IMHO. And HULK, on certain action scenes, BD utilized the surrounds a lot more than DVD. I guess what I'm saying is that the sound seems more "detailed/dedicated". For example, have you ever been watching a movie, and asked yourself why, in any certain scene, say a flying object going across the screeen towards you didn't have any sound from the surround speaker? You dont' get that problem with BD and the new sound formats. It's hard for me to watch standard DVD any more.