Road Trip 1972 Cornwall Decorator Verticals

tuned4life

I don't recall ever seeing a Cornwall where the back panel extended to the top of the carcass. This would have to be addressed should the owner proceed with re-veneering.

Fini,

If they were mine and I intended to veneer them, I would just trim off 3/4" from the top and bottom of each back panel, and take some solid fir or pine and glue 3/4" X 1/2" strips onto the rear of the top and bottom panels to bring them flush with the sides' rear edges, then I would add a glue block to the top and the bottom panels' insides to support the backs and give a surface to screw the top and bottom edges of the backs down with. Of course, drill pilot holes in the backs and into the glue blocks you added, AND caulk up the joints where all the glue blocks meet each other in order to provide a decent seal. Then do the veneer job.

blsamuel,

Also one must keep in mind that in the final assembly of these, where all the components are installed and the backs mounted, the process is much easier with the cabonet laying face down onthe carpeted final assembly tables...to include the mounting of the network board if it is mounted to the motorboard. Also, at the time these particular Cornwalls were made, I doubt that pneumatic screw guns were in use in final assembly yet, so they probably used a Yankee to screw all of these parts down, and that is much easier when you are pushing downward instead of to the side. For those of you who don't know what a yankee is, just google "yankee screwdriver". It's an "old school" tool!

Speakermeister,

Yes, for the heresy and cormwall decorators, they were originally coded only with the two letters CD or HD for Cornwall Decorator and Heresy Decorator, with the finish type following those two letters. Once they began making decorator cabinets out of birch plywood instead of marine grade fir, they changed to CDB and HDB meaning Cornwall Decorator Birch and Heresy Decorator Birch, followed by the finish code. Later, after the cabinet design for Cornwalls and Heresys went from the flush-front decorator to the drop-in front decorator they changed the designation yet again to CB and HB for Cornwall birch and Heresy birch, followed by the finish type code. Now, I know for a fact that some of the early drop-in front style Heresys and Cornwalls made out of birch were labelled on their tags as CDB and HDB...because the word to change the codes didn't make it over to final assembly until a few weeks after the cabinet change had already gone into effect...and we didn't want to commit the time and effort of unboxing all of those speakers and relabelling them and reboxing them!

Just another example of how changes, dates for changes, etc., can never be EXACTLY established to a particular serial number or date during that time frame because there was always a time lag back in those days between initiation of a change and complete changeover to that change. We didn't see it as such a big deal then, but for many forum members, it must appear that things happened rather haphazardly, and sometmes that WAS the case, but then again, nobody back then could look into a crystal ball to the future and know that NOW there might be some possibly anal retentive folks on the Klipsch internet forum who need EXACT dates, EXACT serial numbers, etc...for all of those changes. Not that I think any of our forum folks might be anal retentive or anything, but one of those Bose guys might sneak in at any time, right? [;)]

I had lots of watchers but got no offers. I figured the timing just wasn't right so I ended the auction. I just ordered some sonicaps from BEC to put in them. If your still interested when the weather breaks maybe I could meet you half way. I have family in northern N.Y.. St. Lawerance County which is a skip hop and a jump from Burlington.