Prepare for the "Donnybrook in Seabrook!"

Mallette

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would incourage those who want to come or are planning to come to use the "Email replies to this message" function under the "Options" tab to ensure you get the latest news.

If you don't want to generate a new reply, just go to one of your old posts in this thread, hit "Edit", choose the option, and post.

It's handy for this sort of thing...

Dave

As I mentioned in USNRET's Friday thread, I was doing some listening whilst transferring VHS to HDD. Decided to go out and see what the Frazier's were up to.

About 110db. Listened to a Crystal Clear record, the "Sonic Fireworks" with some French Organ, the Bach You Know What in D-, then went for a Sheffield Labs of "Ride of the Valkyries." Guess I am worrying less about my ears in my old age! Both peaked around 110. LOUD. BASS!!! Ball tickling, make you nervous about the house bass.

Someone thought I was holding the volume down last time. I wasn't. I won't. If you can take it, the Frazier's and the 'horns can dish it out. Not recommended for young ears if you want to keep them in good shape for a long time...but for the rest of us, what the heck? Not gonna live forever...

My Grado has a gone stylus, so I moved the Stanton 681EEE to the 'horn room and put a Shure M91ED on the Eleven system. Both credible, but I wish I could come up with the shekels to do better before the Donnybrook. Probably won't happen. If anyone has a better standard collar screw mount cartridge (Eleven system arm is a SME Type II improved) feel free to bring it. Actually, if you want to go to the trouble of mounting it, feel free to bring something for the VPI. I'll dismount and remount the Stanton...but I won't touch YOUR cartridge. Been there, done that, have the scars to prove it.

Dave

Hey Dave!

I have a Stanton L720EE cartridge with a DD71-EE stylus, and a second stylus (big fat one) designed for tracking 78s, both virtually unused. I'll drop it by some evening soon and let you see if suitable for anything. If so, I'll just give it to you for keeps.

As a B&O man, I don't know quite how the fittings work, but the cartridge has a rectangular rear end with a hole through it sideways, and there is a separate adapter for whatever you call that mounting where you hang the thing from two screws.

Paul

Dropped off the Stanton kit this afternoon... if you can put into service it's all yours.

I looked at both styli under my nifty 80 year old Bausch & Lome medical scope, both look like virgins.

Dragging a rock across plastic; and music comes out! Amazing.

Thanks, Paul. Thank goodness for the S mount adapter! I don't have a P mount in the place. As I have extra S Mounts for the SME, I'll mount it on one and we can compare it to the Shure M-91ED. They appear to be in the same class, though the Shure is about 40 years older.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, this is still on, but I am going to wait until about 3 weeks before the event to request another pin so as not to overexpose and vex those poor souls who won't be able to attend. Let me know of any changes in plans.

I just acquired a nice Nakamichi cassette deck for 74.00 delivered. Should be good for a few minutes diversion...

I have a number of family and some music cassettes worthy of digitizing and didn't have a working deck to do it with. This one is a 480z, their 1980 "budget" model that sold for around 500.00.

Just today I recieved a reel to reel of E. Power Biggs "Greatest Hits" I am very much looking forward to hearing later today. I am really looking forward to Travis bring a good deck. My Sony still has the back tension issue on the supply side I've not be able to figure out how to adjust. My Teac 2300S is on the bench and I MAY have figure out how to re-attach the tension arm that broke off. Remains to be seen...

If anyone has any good "S" mounted cartridges in headshells they'd like to audition on the SME arm (its on the Eleven system) that will be cool too.

Dave

Dave -

My attendance is looking iffy now due to some projects at work but I am still going to try my best to attend. I was toying with the idea of bringing my NAS and Popcornhour (PCH) to the event to demonstrate the current state of digital media archiving and streaming media players. Do you have a DAC or amp with a COAX digital input that you feel can do justice on your setup? If not I don't know if I will bother bringing it since the analog section is nothing to write home about. Of course if we were not going to be interested in judging the sound quality and people would still like to see it all work then the analog section is fine. I would also need a TV for the navigation (HD widescreen preferred otherwise I would have to redo all the skins in SD 4:3 ick lol). If you are interested in seeing how it streams media (YouTube, Vuze, internet radio, etc) from the internet a wired high speed internet connection would be required.

Let me know if you have any interest in this.

Laters,

Jeff

Jeffers, we're still a month off...keep plugin' at it. The PAW would like to see you again and my friend Ron (LoneLobo) remembers you from the Flower Mound gathering as well.

I am reasonably sure my Panasonic Class D has digital in. I use it as a matter of course and prefer it to any SS amp I've ever heard...but that's just me. Haven't heard any major complaints. The music room has a 32" HD screen with plenty IO, except HDMI. DVI, VGA, component, etc.

I think I have Ron convinced to bring his newly refurbed Marantz Model 5 monoblocks. That will be a treat! Travis mentioned coming and bring a R2R, and I think I am going to PM Canyonman and see if I can cajole him into coming (NO isn't that far) and bring some Tape Project goodies.

I will still hold about another week before requesting a pin to avoid thread fatigue amongst those who must look but can't come....

Dave

Oooo I have a Panny Class D as well. I use it in the theater with 5 Heresy's and I think it sounds great. Mine is the later version with the protection relays but it still sounds fab so that should work well. A component input on the tv is fine. That way there are no worries about HDMI handshake issues etc.

Laters,

Jeff

Oooo I have a Panny Class D as well. I use it in the theater with 5 Heresy's and I think it sounds great. Mine is the later version with the protection relays but it still sounds fab so that should work well. A component input on the tv is fine. That way there are no worries about HDMI handshake issues etc.

Laters,

Jeff

[:D]

Get your work done! It's gonna be fun!!!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Okies, folks, time to get a recount and see who all is still on. I especially need to know the Saturday sleepovers so as to apportion beds. I believe there are plenty, but in case we have a couple or something need to be able to properly place folks.

Also, the "rules" are changed: read, relaxed. I do have the setup this time to allow simultaneous playback on the 'horns and Elevens from all sources in the music room, so that is going to help a bit.

I will likely start with something, not sure what yet. Then we'll just swap out whatever you guys bring as your own test material until we get through it before discussing the "winner" and why. I would ask that during this session we try to avoid full LP sides and such. Try to keep it to 10 minutes or less. There will be time on both systems later for extended listening. I am just asking...not going to try to enforce anything. Wouldn't be prudent...

When to begin the "official" comparison? I am thinking 1500 hours. That should give the Dallas/San Antonio and in between crowd time to get here without getting up at the crack of dawn. If anyone has a problem with that let me know and we'll change it. I'll provide snacks, supper, and breakfast for the stayovers, lunch too if anybody remains that long. Help with beer and any over beverages of choice will certainly be appreciated.

I'll post a map to the house soon.

Open to all thoughts and input.

I am getting excited.

Dave

It's Saturday, 28 March. I am still figureing "official" start as 1500, though earlier arrivals are perfectly welcome. I'll provide snacks, supper, and breakfast for those staying over...lunch Sunday, too if anyone hangs around that long.

Dave