Not so "clean" CWII

Danely15

What is the best way to clean my corns? One grill is dirty, both woofers seem to have dust all over them, and the cabinets themselves need a good oiling. They are oiled oak. Ive tried to pull the grills off but no luck..... didnt pull to hard at all. didnt want to mess anything up. Any tips or advice. Ive seen people talk about different oil but there is always someone else saying that certain oils will turn colors. Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Best oil to start with would be an all purpose furniture oil like pledge with lemon oil or murphy's english oil from the supermarket

once you get into the commercial grade oil finishes you need to watch out....I believe Watco tung (or is it the teak...I need to go out and check) oil is mostly BLO (boiled linseed oil) and BLO is the basis for most finishes....please somebody correct me if I am wrong.....but you shouldn't need any of those to clean them up.

the woofers should just be gently blown off with air.......I assume that you are talking about removing the grill cloth from the frames, if so try a search as Groomlakearea51 did a very nice tutorial about redoing grill cloth

Grill Removal: Take a plastic putty knife or a "bondo" tool and put it approximately 3" down on one side between the grill and the edge and slowly pry the grill loose enough to reach under and then lift it away from the velcro. It will be difficult and you need to take your time to avoid breaking the grill board. CW's have a large number of Velcro pieces. Be careful.

Dirty.... You can first vacuum them.... You can also wash them off with warm soapy water and rinse them. You need to work fast... really fast... to keep water from getting into the masonite board with which they are constructed. To dry... put them in behind a floor fan... sucks the water out.

If that does not do it for you....

Cleaning the drivers:

First, take a 2"-4"paint brush and brush off all possible dirt, dust, etc. Take a cotton t-shirt and wet it with distilled water. Wring it out, really wring it out so it's damp... not wet. Carefully wipe the woofer cone off taking care not to have the cloth leave any noticeable "wet spots".... Wipe out the driver horn lenses.

Cleaning the motor board:

Remove all of the old velcro from the board (use "goo" remover to get the residue off). Same thing with the grills. Wipe off the motor board with mineral spirits until clean, etc.

Replace the velcro with new pieces on the grill only. Take the matching pieces and put them on the grill pieces (hook to pile, etc), Remove the backing. Carefully put the grill on and press each area on the grill where the pieces are installed (see http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/110684.aspx )

The wood:

Use mineral spirits to clean it off; be liberal and use as many rags as necessary until when you wipe it down, the rags are clean.

Oiling:

Many methods...... I would suggest that you start with Watco Danish and mix it with mineral spirits in a ratio of 1 part oil to 3 parts mineral spirits (or turpentine...). Apply a couple of coats, wiping excess after each coat and allowing each coat to dry for at least 6-8 hours.

Follow up with Old English Lemon oil every couple months.

My first set of CW IIs were from at least one smoking home. I took the grilles off, set each grille in the tub, and gave them a good going over with Fantastic and paper towels. Toweled them off, let them dry and then Febreezed them. The grille board on mine is plastic, but I did not want to saturate the fabric and possibly warp the cloth.

While the grilles were off I stuck my vacuum snorkel into the vent and did my best to draw out any dust.