Using dual center channel speakers ?

Cpt_John

I am creating a home theater and have available to me a couple of KSP-C6 center channel speakers. In a previous post I was told that they would be a pretty good option as side surrounds in a 7 channel setup. I was also considering using them as dual center channel speakers. I am planning on at least temporarily using my old KG4's as front left and right speakers. My questions are:

1. Do many people use more than one center channel speaker? (They would be under a 120" projection screen).

2. Would I be better served to use them as dual center channels, use a single one as a center channel, or to use them as L/R surround speakers?

3. If I did use them as center channels would they match up adequately with my KG4's across the front or is there a much better Klipsch center channel recommendation to use?

Thanks, John

• Moderators

From what I've read, it's not a good idea to use two center channels. I do not know the physical problems this creates but just read it somewhere here in the forums awhile back. I think Colterphoto1 was the one who gave a pretty good explanation of why not to do this.

It can be done, but they need to be next to or close each other, and generally will work best in a small room, in a "nearfield" listening environment with low SPL's (relatively). Best combination I have found is to use a separate amplifier for that configuration and then match the volume levels to fit the source, environment, etc. I do it with Khorns and Belles in one room and Khorns and LaScala's in another. But... when experimenting with with Cornwalls, Heresys, Chorus and Forte combos in a "dual" configuration, it did not sound right due to the filtering issues which became evident at any appreciable volume (SPL).

Lot of factors involved, but IMHO, if one wonders... one should try it and see how it works (or does not...) then decide to keep the configuration or not. It's always fun to try things and see what the effects will be.

I don't know, I think if dual center speakers were a good idea surround sound receivers and companies who make them would have jumped on that bandwagon a long time ago. There's a reason why there's only one center speaker output on 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of them.