How much for entire lot?

Coytee

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been slowly moving some of this stuff to my place where I can go through it better and get it organized.  While doing so, I'm also going to plug some of the items into my system and see what they sound like (and make sure they're working)

I plumbed the Esoteric cd player in Saturday morning and just as I did so, I though..."Hmm....  I'd almost bet there's a CD in there".  Sure enough, though I forget which title, there is a Steely Dan cd in it.

I realized the last time it was played would have been by Chris.

I don't know if I this morbid or not, but I decided on the spot that before I listened to anything, I'd simply let this play from beginning to end before I removed it, if for no other reason, than to share his last session in his absence.

So, that's what I did and in fact, listened to it a couple times over the weekend as we were in/out of the house doing some outside work.

My wife thought it was a bit ghoulish and gave her the heebie jeebies doing that.  I don't know...  it was kind of a strange feeling, mixed with a nice one at the same time.

weird.

Which Cd was it???

"FYI, the Pro-Ject Tube Box MK II (phono preamp) is avaiable from needledoctor.com or sumikoaudio.net for $449

The
one on the list is not the MK version... both retailers use the
pictures of the MK version but all call it Tube Box II. I found a
review where the guy said he paid $399, calls it the Tube Box II, but
shows the MK version in the picture. Hope that helps..."

I bought one on ebay last year for 160, and sold it for 120 after 6 months.

whats left in the tube amp world....when do we see prices...or is this a price match thread?

I do not intend on playing any kind of games (if that is what "price match" means...)

Right now, I'm intentionally working on other things so I can work on the tube preamp and two tube amps last and give myself a chance to decide if I might want them. What better way to be sure than to plug them in!!

I can say that I'm 90% sure to take the Quads from what I've heard about them (nothing but glowing reports, ever) The Viva is more of a curiosity to me. I can't fathom that I'd be happy with under 10 watts on top but then...that's why I'm hooking it up, to find out. Darn wife is off yesterday and today so i've not had any time to really sit down and play with the volume. If it cuts the mustard though, then I could be swayed into keeping it also. It's a much nicer looking thing in person than in the picture, imho. The pictures of it had me yawning, real life doesn't. If the Viva goes to the sale pile (which is 60/40 guaranteed), I'll try to find someone who can do a local pickup first instead of shipping it. I do not have any boxes for it and don't really think anything good can happn by it being shipped. I've got a pending trip to Dayton Ohio and Atlanta GA coming up in the next few months. I'd rather take it with me and if possible hand off along that corridor, or simply have someone drive to my home and listen to it first. I'd rather do this even if it brings in fewer dollars and have explained all this to her.

The tube preamp is still sitting idle to the side. As frankly, is the whole list of things at the bottom of my list where I said I might be interested! [:P]

This whole process isn't going to be done in 2 weeks. Right now, for example, I can't find the power cord (dedicated I might add) for the little Tivoli cd player. I don't feel comfortable selling it without the cord. With the wife here last two days working on her list of things... I can't get to this stuff at all to find that so this drags on. Heck... I don't even have all the stuff home yet to go through.

With that said, what I'm trying to do is ascertain what things might be worth and I'm talking a fair value, no deep haircuts "just because". Key word 'deep'. I see a "Badcat II" amp. I found a used prices somewhere for $700-850 and had someone (not of the forum) tell me they'd give $150 for it and btw, could I get it out ASAP... the other things they had interest in "they'd deal with later". After I saw the used prices at 700-850, I figured out why he was in a rush at 150. I've not dealt with him yet but I am thinking of asking more like $650 for it. It's not the industrial black like the 850 unit was, it's finished in more of an ostrich leather and actually, pretty nice looking for an amp... (it's actually 98% new looking with just a single "pick" on the leather noticed, other wise it's out of box new looking)

So that's where I'm coming from. Trying to find a good value for her so we can get this moving, while trying to find a nice value where someone feels they got a nice price. All without giving the farm away. If someone doesn't like the deal, that's fine too... I'll end up trying it out on ebay for those things.

I want to get the Thorens on the kitchen table where I can reassemble the tonearms and try to ascertain that they're working. I specifically do NOT want to have anyone here buy anything unless I can do my best to say it does work or is in need of repair in such & such way. I want to try to be as above board as possible so there are no surprises. That's going to take some time.

If the Viva goes to the sale pile (which is 60/40 guaranteed)

Just listened to Steely Dan, the Royal Scam again AND Diana Krall in Paris (dvd) all the way through...this Viva DOES sound very nice!

I'd now say it's 40/60 guaranteed to go to the sale pile verses keeping instead of 60/40. Didn't do any serious volume but had it at a touch more than room filling volume. At best (or would it be worst?) I might stretch out the audition if I can instead of making a snap judgement on this as I had expected.

300B SET on top and Crown K2 on bottom... I don't know.... might prove more intersting than I'd thought.

When you're ready to test the Thorens, you're welcome to give me a call, or email, and I can help you evaluate the beast(s), if'n ya want.

Thank you and I just might take you up on it. What I might do first is take some naked pictures of it and email those to you from work where I have a fast connection. You can maybe suggest a different shot (like a nekked spindle?)

hmm... on second thought....

This stuff was owned by a guy that was becoming a friend, 48 years old. His mother passed last January (2008) and he inherited about $500,000. He was a professional working (read poor) musician. I understand he was on at least one cd that ended up selling well and that provided him with the income he needed so he could play around and do as he wanted.

He was also morbidly overweight. I tried to get him to join me/us at the Klipsch gathering in Indy.

About 10 years ago, he fell in the shower and shattered the door. His weight forced him to the ground and the glass about severed his arm. He drove himself to the hospital and they debated trying to clean out the blood in his car for about 2 seconds before they just junked it and bought another one. Seems it was worse than any Helter Skelter scene you might have wanted to see.

Also, interestingly, he told me (after I said something about how he must have a big will to live)... he said something that I think became relevant at the end of his life. He said "ya know Richard... dying is easy. It took all the strength I could muster, to live. I could have easily just given in and let go... it would have been REAL easy to do that"

Fast forward to last January... he loses his mother, (I suspect but do not know... that perhaps she was helping him financially) He inherited a bunch of money and having never really HAD a lot of free cash, immediately bought a new Mercedes for himself, bought my McIntosh MC-2102 amp (which is how/when we met) and bought most of the stuff you see in this thread as well as new furniture, gutted the home & repainted it.... Anything that he bought new, was probably bought between last March and September.

Bottom line... he ended up spending his inheritence down to $300.00. Yes, you read that right... $500,000 down to $300.00 in the bank as cash and a lot of items he bought.

I personally, think he got depressed, then the money ran out and he sat there figuring "now what am I going to do?" I can't work and I just blew all my money.

I guess he knew how easy it really was to die, so he put a gun to his head. The hole is evidently still in the bedroom wall. Interestingly enough (I've not seen it) the bedroom wall is a common wall with his neighbor so it's not impossible that the bullet might have entered their space. I'd like to think though that there is probably a block wall between the two places, as a fire break if nothing else and that didn't happen. It's mere speculation on my part that it could have.

What a depressing story. Well they say money doesn't buy happiness just a lot of junk. The good thing is that most walls are made out of drywall they call it. You can easily put in a piece about the size of the hole, put some drywall tape around it to hold it in place, then slap some "mud" on it, sand it, and it'll be good as new. Unless they want to scrape the whole house like he did with his car just because there was some blood in it.

whats left in the tube amp world....when do we see prices...or is this a price match thread?

I do not intend on playing any kind of games (if that is what "price match" means...)

Right now, I'm intentionally working on other things so I can work on the tube preamp and two tube amps last and give myself a chance to decide if I might want them. What better way to be sure than to plug them in!!

Just to let everybody know that is intending to purchase anything from Coytee here...

This is indeed the real deal, and he is not playing around here at all.

I was interested in that little Tivoli CD player as I'd like to use it with the rest of my Tivoli setup at work. He actually sent to to me without asking for payment upfront, just to try it out and make sure it worked. I've recieved it today and had a chance to check it out, and the thing was in nearly perfect condition (a few minor nicks/scratches on the unit, but nothing to really cry home about). The thing played and operated flawlessly. Not only that he was very professional and courteous to deal with. As soon as I get an addresss and exact amount to send the check out to, I'll get it right to him. He did not even have to deal with all this, but he indeed took it upon himself to handle all this mess, plus giving us an oppurtunity to pick up some great gear for a reasonable price. My hat is definitly off to him, thus anybody that is interested in picking up any of this lot should have nothing to fear about getting any kind of bad deal or anything.

I did chat with him a little bit about the planets, as I'd like to at least hear those, but I think it'll be more of a hassle than it is worth to deal with something like that (to far for me to go for local listen/pickup, to much of a pain to ship something like that - now if this was a pair of Cornwalls we were talking about, then perhaps, I could make some arrangements... [;)] )